Online Bachelor of Science Degree
Designed for students who want to expand their understanding of the Bible, the online Biblical Studies degree program cultivates personal and professional spiritual formation through in depth study of God’s Word. Crown College is committed to the authority and trustworthiness of God’s Word as we seek to study its meaning and apply it to the contexts in which we live and minister.
This program builds upon Crown’s Christian Studies Core so that transfer students can complete this degree by taking as few as 30 credits at Crown. It is also designed so that students can easily add it as a second major to programs such as the B.S. in Christian Ministry, B.S. in Business or B.S. in Psychology/Counseling. Students who have already completed an undergraduate degree, but want to pursue another undergraduate degree in Biblical Studies may want to consider this degree program or one of our graduate degree offerings.
Graduates of the online Biblical Studies program are prepared for effective teaching and disciple-making ministries in churches, youth and para-church ministries, and other faith-based education and nonprofit organizations. Through this degree program, graduates are also prepared to meet the licensing requirements for ministry in the Christian and Missionary Alliance. In addition, graduates of this program are prepared for graduate work in Bible, theology or practical ministry and may elect to continue on to pursue one of Crown’s graduate degrees including the Master of Divinity.
Faculty with credentials in academic excellence, and with significant ministry and mission experience, lead the courses in Crown’s dynamic online learning environment. The online Biblical Studies degree program is infused with Crown’s academic integrity and top-ranked by is reflected in top rankings by both MONEY Magazine and Christian Universities Online.
Crown’s easy-to-use online learning environment allows you the freedom and flexibility to complete coursework at your convenience. Tuition is priced competitively lower than at similar accredited institutions.
- Learning Goals
Crown’s regionally accredited online Biblical Studies degree program is designed to prepare leaders who can study and teach the word with confidence and effectiveness. Through our B. S. in Biblical Studies degree, students will be prepared to:
- Define one’s life mission and God-given destiny based on classic and contemporary understandings of Christian spirituality.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history, themes, and content of the Biblical text.
- Utilize principles of hermeneutics to interpret and apply Scripture.
- Utilize Scriptural and Theological reasoning to articulate one’s position on a theological issue.
- Apply a theology and philosophy of missions and outreach to one’s personal and ministry context.
- Develop leadership strategies based on the ability to listen to and learn from others.
- Required Courses
Biblical Studies Major (B.S.) Courses
- COM 1515 - Introduction to Public Communication 3 Credits
- ENG 1510 - College Writing and Research 3 Credits
- ENG 1512 - Introduction to Literary Analysis 3 Credits
- FAR - Fine Arts Elective 3 Credits 2
- Global Awareness Elective 3 Credits 2*
- HIS - History Elective 3 Credits
- Humanities Elective 3 Credits 2*
- MAT - Math Elective 3 Credits
- SCI - Lab Science Elective 4 Credits
- SOC 1510 - College Success Strategies 3 Credits 1,2
The major core includes the 18 credits of the Christian Studies core plus the following:
- BIB 3510 - Interpreting the Gospels 3 Credits
- BIB 4047 - Christ and the Gospels 3 Credits
- BIB 3520 - Interpreting the Bible 3 Credits
- BIB - Bible Elective 3 Credits
- CM 3520 - Spiritual Formation 3 Credits
- CM 4584 - Globalization and Ministry 3 Credits
- ICS 3610 - Concepts of Global and Ethical Leadership 3 Credits
- THE 3536 - Theology of Evangelism and Missions 3 Credits
- 300-400 Level General Electives 9 Credits
1 Counts towards 3 credits of Social Science credits. Students who have successfully completed 60 credits with a GPA of at least a 2.0 may replace SOC 1510 with another Social Science elective.
2 Click HERE to view options for Social Science, Humanities, Global Awareness, and Fine Arts Electives.
* Some courses from the Christian Studies Core and Major Core can be used to fulfill requirements in the General Education Core. By doing that the number of electives needed would increase so that the minimum of 125 credits is reached.
To view these courses in our online catalog system, click here.
(This will open in a new browser window or tab.)
- Double Major Option
Double Major Option
The B.S. in Biblical Studies is designed so that students can build upon their Christian Studies Core courses from other bachelor’s degree programs in order to add a second major.
B.S. in Christian Ministry: Students in this degree can add a second major in Biblical Studies by declaring the second major and adding the following courses:
• BIB 3510 – Interpreting the Gospels (3 credits)
• BIB 4047 – Christ and the Gospels* (3 credits)
• BIB 3520 – Interpreting the Bible* (3 credits)
• CM3520 – Spiritual Formation* (3 credits)
• 300-400 level BIB Electives (3 credits)
Other B.S. Degrees: Students in other bachelor degree programs can add a second major in Biblical Studies by declaring the second major and taking the expanded Christian Studies Core plus four additional courses.
In short, students will take six (6) courses in addition to the basic Christian Studies Core that are required in their B.S. degree in order to receive this second major.
An Affordable Online College Education.
Earning your degree online makes sense. It’s convenient and provides an invaluable advantage to your future success. And at Crown College, it’s affordable. Crown is one of the 10 most affordable Christian colleges in the Midwest. With 98 percent of our students receiving some form of financial aid, we will work with you to figure out the best financial aid package available.
Financial aid is funding made available by the federal government, state government, private entities and Crown. Crown College’s School of Online Studies and Graduate School programs participate in the Federal Pell Grant, Minnesota State Grant and Federal Direct Stafford Loans to help finance your education.
Most financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. The first step is to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is the government form used to help assess a family’s financial strength. Crown’s school code for FAFSA is: 002383. Students must apply for financial aid each year to be considered for funding.
Tuition and Fees
For a list of the Online and Graduate School’s current tuition and fees, please click here.