HEA Consumer Information

Higher Education Act of 1965 Consumer Information

To help students and families make well-informed decisions about higher education, Crown College is pleased to provide this central guide to sources of consumer information, college policies, and disclosures. This list provides links that disclose specific information to comply with the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA).

Notice of Availability of Institutional and Financial Aid Information

Crown College, in compliance with the Student Consumer Information Regulations, is required to annually disclose information to prospective students, parents, prospective staff, current students, staff and the public. These disclosures are provided in accordance with the federal regulations set forth by the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended.

The required disclosures provided at the website listed above include, but are not limited to: specific student rights regarding education records and directory information under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); Information about financial aid, educational programs, accreditation, copyright infringement policies and sanctions, student loan information, campus safety, annual campus security reports, federal requirements for return of funds, institutional statistics such as completion, graduation and transfer out rates. For a full summary of the consumer information being disclosed and descriptions of the required methods of dissemination, please see Chapter 6, Volume 2 of the Federal Student Aid Handbook.

Individuals, upon request, may obtain a paper copy of this list and information on any of the disclosures. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at if you require this assistance. Your request may also be referred to the area responsible for providing the information.

Contact Information for Assistance in Obtaining Institutional or Financial Aid Information

Fax: 952-446-4178

Crown College
Financial Aid Office
8700 College View Drive
St. Bonifacius, MN 55375

Student Grievance Process

On-Campus and Online Students

If an on-campus or online student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process for handling complaints, the complaint (except for complaints about grades or student conduct violations) may be appealed, within six years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the SARA portal agency in Minnesota. You may also file a complaint with the regulatory agency in the state in which you are receiving instruction if outside Minnesota.

General Institutional Information

This act sets out requirements designed to govern the access to, and release of, educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the FERPA Office (U.S. Department of Education) concerning alleged failures of Crown to comply with provisions of FERPA.

Crown College has adopted policies and procedures concerning implementation of FERPA on campus. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law, which states that a written institutional policy must be established and that a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available. The law provides that the institution will maintain the confidentiality of student education records.



Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act:

  • Directory Information can be released to an outside party without written consent of the student: name, home address, campus address, e-mail address, telephone numbers, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time status, classification, previous institutions(s) attended, major field(s) of study, awards, honors (e.g. Dean’s List), degree(s) conferred (e.g. BS, AA), photograph or digital image, past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, and height and weight of athletic team members.
  • Students have the right to suppress their directory information by completing a request form in the Registrar’s Office. The request is valid for one semester.
  • Within the Crown College community, only those employees who have a legitimate educational interest are allowed to access student education records. Designated offices may also disclose education records or components thereof to persons or organizations providing the student with financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accrediting functions, and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. Other exceptions are listed in the official policy.
  • Confidential information cannot be released over the phone (since positive voice identification cannot usually be made).
  • Confidential information can be released directly to the student; however, it cannot be released directly to the student’s family members (e.g., parents, spouses, etc.) without the written consent of the student. Note, however, that when a student is a dependent of the parent as defined by the Internal Revenue Service, such information may be released to the parent without the written consent of the student.




Education records are those records that are:

  1. Directly related to a student.
  2. Maintained by the institution or by a party acting for the institution.

Education records do not include records of instructional, administrative, and educational personnel which are the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any individual except a temporary substitute, student health records, employment records or alumni records. Health records, however, may be reviewed by physicians of the students’ choosing.



Crown College may disclose educational records without written consent of students to the following: employees of Crown College who have a legitimate educational interest; those who maintain education records; faculty or staff who deal with students; and those who are designated by an employee to assist in his/her tasks. Crown College defines “legitimate educational interest” as “needs the record(s) to carry out employment responsibilities”. Therefore, any Crown College employee or person acting on behalf of Crown College may have access to student records without the student’s consent if that person needs the access to carry out his/her employee responsibilities.



  1. Students have the right to inspect their educational records and to challenge contents which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. A staff member must be present during students’ inspection and review.
  2. Students have the right to transcripts of their own academic records. Such transcripts are unofficial and should be labeled “ISSUED TO STUDENT.” Official copies may be given directly to the student in a sealed envelope labeled “RELEASED TO STUDENT — OFFICIAL ONLY IF UNOPENED.” The enclosed transcript will be marked “RELEASED TO THE STUDENT IN A SEALED COLLEGE ENVELOPE.”
  3. Designated offices will refuse to provide transcripts of academic records for non-payment of financial obligation, but students cannot be denied the right to inspect and review their records.
  4. Students must submit signed and dated requests in order for transcripts of their academic records to be released to third parties. Transcripts may be handed or mailed directly to the student upon verbal request of the student or anyone else.
  5. Designated offices will refuse to provide transcripts of academic records for non-payment of financial obligation, but students cannot be denied the right to inspect and review their records.
  6. Students must submit signed and dated requests in order for transcripts of their academic records to be released to third parties. Transcripts may be handed or mailed directly to the student upon verbal request of the student or anyone else.
  7. Designated offices are not obligated to provide to students copies of documents received from other institutions, i.e., transcripts from previous colleges.
  8. Students may not have access to records pertaining to parents’ financial status.
  9. Students may request to inspect educational records, in writing, on forms provided by the holding office, and shall be granted access to appropriate records within 30 days of such request.
  10. Students requesting inspection of education records shall be informed that the originators of such records will be notified of the inspection, and such notification shall be provided to the originator within 30 days of the request.
  11. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation, which were placed in the educational records prior to January 1, 1975, shall be used only for the purposes for which they were specifically intended and shall not be made available to students and/or parents. (99.12)



  1. Information about students’ academic records or transcripts of them may be disclosed to students’ parents by either of two procedures:
    1. By obtaining the students’ written consent, or…
    2. By having the parents establish the student’s dependency as defined by Internal Revenue Code of 1954, Sec.152.
  2. Academic records will be disclosed to other educational institutions only upon the written consent of the student.



  1. Designated offices will disclose academic records without the written consent of the students to the following agencies only:
    1. Comptroller General of the United States.
    2. The Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education.
    3. The United States Commissioner of Education, Director of National Institute of Education, or Assistant Secretary of Education.
    4. State educational authorities.
    5. State and local officials to whom disclosure is required by state statute adopted prior to November 19, 1974.
    6. Veterans Administration. (P.L. 94 502)
    7. Military Recruiters (Solomon Amendment)
  2. Designated offices will disclose academic records without written consent to persons in compliance with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena, provided that reasonable attempts to notify the student will be made.



  1. Designated offices may release without written consent certain information about individual students provided the following conditions are met prior to disclosure:
    1. That students will be informed of categories designated as directory information, by notice in the College student newspaper, bulletin board, or other generally distributed regularly issued source of College information.
    2. That students will be given opportunity to refuse disclosure of any or all categories of directory information. Directory information includes the following:
      1. Name, address, telephone number, email address, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time status, classification, previous institution(s) attended, major field(s) of study, awards, honors (including honors lists) degree(s) conferred (including dates and any graduation honors), photograph or digital image, past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, physical factors (height, weight of athletes).
    3. Designated offices may also disclose education records or components thereof to persons or organizations providing the student with financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accrediting functions and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.



The College will provide students an opportunity to challenge the contents of their education records that the students consider to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of their privacy or other rights.

Students who are not provided the full relief sought by their challenges will be informed by the appropriate officials of their right to formal hearings on the matters. Decisions of the hearing panels will be final.

  1. Designated offices will correct or amend any education records in accordance with the decisions of the hearing panels if the decisions are in favor of the students.
  2. Should any decision be unsatisfactory to the student, the appropriate official must inform the student that:
    1. The student has the right to place with the education record a statement commenting on the information in the record, or a statement setting forth any reason for disagreement with the decision of the hearing panel.
    2. The statement placed in the education record by the student will be maintained as part of the record for so long as the record is held by the institution.
    3. This education record, when disclosed to an authorized party, must include the statement filed by the student.



Designated offices will maintain records of requests and disclosures of personally identifiable information. The records of request, whether granted or not, shall include the names and addresses of the person(s) who requested the information and their interests in the information. Records of requests and disclosures need not be maintained for:

  1. Those made by college officials.
  2. Those specified as directory information.
  3. Those made by students for their own use.
  4. Those disclosures made in response to written requests from the students themselves.

Records of requests and disclosures are considered a part of students’ educational records and will be retained as long as the education records to which they refer are retained. The records of requests and disclosures will be maintained in a form that permits students, responsible College officials, and Federal auditors to inspect them.


Where changes in statutes, guidelines or interpretations thereof are indicated by private or public authorities in this regard, and where such changes dictate immediate changes in policy, such changes are subject to the approval of the President’s Cabinet.

Disability Services

Crown College is suited to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities. The Main Building allows access to all basic student services and student life activities under one roof.

The Office of Disability Services of Crown College coordinates services needed by students who have physical, learning, emotional, and psychological/psychiatric disabilities. All requests for accommodations, whether physical or academic, must be made through the Office of Disability Services.

Our commitment is to provide reasonable accommodations and services to students who have disabilities so that students with disabilities have equal access to the opportunity for academic success as student without disabilities, not to provide special treatment or advantages that students without disabilities do not receive.

Student Responsibilities:

  • Identify him/herself as a student with a disability by making an appointment with the Director of Disability Services to discuss the disability as well as reasonable accommodations.
  • Provide adequate documentation of your specific disability. This documentation should be no more than 3 years old and be signed by an appropriate professional qualified to diagnose the disability. Any Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan should also be provided when available.
  • Discuss with each professor the necessary accommodations for his/her classes.

Please note that accommodations will not be provided until approval is given by the Director of Disability services.


Contact Information

Dr. Tom McCracken

Traditional (on-campus) Undergraduate Programs and Online Undergraduate and Graduate Studies Programs

On-Campus Programs Tuition (per semester)2022-23 Tuition2023-24 Tuition
Online Programs Tuition (per credit)2022-23 Tuition2023-24 Tuition
Graduate, except MBA Program$590$610
MBA Program$620$640
Other Fees 
Application Fees$25$25
Resource Fee$200$205
Student Experience Fee$115$120
Technology Fee$140$145
Wellness Fee$120$125


For current Cost of Attendance estimates:

Withdrawal from the College: Students who withdraw from the college during a term are subject to a recalculation of their student financial aid. All students considering withdrawing mid-term are strongly encouraged to consult with the Financial Aid Office to determine the financial impact of their decision.

Federal Refund Policy (R2T4): A Federal Refund calculation will be made for all students who received student financial assistance and withdrew on or before the 60 percent point in the payment period of enrollment. After the 60 percent point, the student is considered to have earned 100 percent of their paid (disbursed) Title IV aid. The percent of aid earned is determined by days attended divided by the days in the term. The Federal Refund policy states that the lesser amount of the following calculations must be returned to Title IV programs:

  • Total Title IV aid paid or disbursed multiplied by the percent of unearned aid equals Federal refund amount to be returned.
  • Total institutional charges multiplied by the percent of unearned aid equals Federal refund amount to be returned.

Order of Refunding Aid: Any refund will be returned to the student financial aid programs in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Other Title IV Aid Programs

State Refund Policy: The refund remaining after all Title IV programs have been fully refunded is refunded on a proportional basis to the State Grant Program, not to exceed the actual amount the student initially received from the program. The same would apply to other state aid programs, excluding State Work Study.

Institutional Refund Policy: After calculating the federal and state refunds, Crown College grants and scholarships will be reduced by the same percentage as the student’s tuition reduction.

Students at Crown can order textbooks via the online bookstore:

Academic Program

The Crown College catalog is available on our website.

Crown College is located west of Minneapolis and consists of a large central building, five residence halls and six apartment buildings for students and for families. The college enjoys the quiet beauty of a suburban setting while providing easy access to the metropolitan Twin Cities. The rolling hills and lakeside setting offer a serenity well suited for academic endeavor. The variety and beauty of the Minnesota seasons enhances the location. Built in 1959-60, the large, cross-shaped main building houses most academic, recreational, and administrative facilities of the institution, including the library, chapel, Campus Store, athletic facility, administrative offices, dining facilities, Wiggins Welcome Center, Benedict Student Center, Simpson Auditorium and classrooms.

Crown College offers a Writing Lab which is located in the library. Students have opportunities to collaborate with others to enhance overall academic writing. Writing assistants specialize in helping students brainstorm, format, edit, and cite papers.  Additionally, Crown College provides all students access to a premier Grammarly account.

Outside of the faculty office space students can receive math and science support. Additional academic support is provided by full-time faculty and faculty-in-residence during posted office hours.

Located on the 1st floor, the Director of Student Success is available to work individually with students on organization, study skills, time management, and test taking strategies.

Academic Support is:

  • available to students on a walk-in basis
  • open to all students of Crown College
  • provided for students at no additional cost

Our faculty is comprised of dedicated, Christian scholars who have achieved excellence in their academic and/or professional disciplines. A complete list of our faculty is located on our website.

Undergraduate transfer credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis under the supervision of the Registrar and in consultation with the respective Academic Dean. All academic courses in which at least a “C” grade or its equivalent has been earned may qualify for transfer if taken at a college with institutional or programmatic accreditation up to a maximum of 95 credits. Please note that some programs may require a grade higher than a “C” for transfer (e.g. Nursing).

  • Courses earned at an unaccredited college are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The maximum number of transfer credits from an unaccredited institution is 30 semester credits unless the institution has signed an articulation agreement in which case the maximum is raised to 80 semester credits.

  • Transcripts containing credits earned at an institution in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation by an international/foreign transcript evaluator that is a member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). The list of third-party evaluators recognized by the Higher Learning Commission may be found at

  • The maximum number of credits that may be transferred toward the specific major or minor core courses (e.g., the psychology core in the psychology major, etc.) is 50 percent. When a student has earned additional transfer credits in the major core, the respective Academic Dean will specify which courses will be applied toward the Crown College major.

  • Transfer students must meet all departmental and general college requirements for the degree in the program for which they are enrolled. Official transcripts for students with an intended major are evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the respective Academic Dean. In most cases, students will receive a written evaluation prior to registration.

  • The following course has been designated by the faculty as an upper level, integrative Bible and Theology course that must be completed at Crown College: BIB 434 Romans. Therefore, transfer credit toward this requirement will not be applied in the School of Arts & Sciences.


Graduate School and Graduate School of Ministry

Graduate degree-seeking students who have completed courses at a college with institutional or programmatic accreditation may transfer twelve (MA/MS degrees) to eighteen (M.Div.) semester credit hours to Crown College. Graduate level credits over 10 years old are not eligible for transfer. The number of credits, the courses to be accepted and the method of evaluation will be determined by the nature of the courses and grade received (“B” or higher for graduate work). Evaluations are under the supervision of the Registrar in consultation with the Program Directors for the Graduate School and Graduate School of Ministry.


Articulation Agreements

Crown College has articulation agreements with various accredited and unaccredited institutions to aid in the transfer of credits. A list of current articulation agreements is available in the Crown College Catalog under Articulation Agreements.


Additional information about program specific requirements can be found under the Academic Department and/or Program Requirement pages in the Crown College Catalog. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have questions regarding transfer credit.

Copyright protects authors of original works and gives them control over how their works are used. These works may be books, articles, musical compositions or recordings, paintings, movies, and other forms of expression. Works need not be published to be protected by copyright law – they are covered by copyright as soon as they are written, recorded or otherwise finished. Copyright law covers works from big-budget movies to blog posts and journal entries.

There are specific limits to the duration of copyright protections and some exceptions listed in the law to allow limited use without permission of some works (see the Fair Use section below), but in general, reproducing or distributing works covered by copyright law without permission is illegal. Downloading a song from a peer-to-peer website is considered making an unauthorized copy of that song and breaks copyright law. Photocopying a chapter from a textbook to avoid the cost of purchasing said textbook also goes contrary to the law. For more information about copyright, see the U.S. Copyright Office website or read their summary Copyright Basics publication.

The Fair Use Doctrine

Some exceptions are allowed in copyright law for special use of copyrighted materials that might otherwise be considered infringing. Fair Use is highly applicable in an academic situation, as it is what allows for the quotation of copyrighted works in scholarly writing.

The U.S. Copyright Office explains Fair Use on their website located here. There, they cite a report that gives specific examples of appropriate fair uses of copyrighted material (quoted below):

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”

Fair Use is defined in relatively loose terms and defines specific factors to be considered when determining if a given use falls under the Fair Use protections. These factors are (taken directly from section 107 of the Title 17 Copyright Law):

  1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Factor four is of particular interest: distributing a photocopy of a textbook chapter, if it would negatively impact the sales of that textbook as a result, would not fall under Fair Use as a result of this criteria.

The University of Minnesota Libraries website lists a number of scenarios that may help to understand the boundaries of Fair Use.

Peer-to-peer file sharing enables individuals to share files directly between their computers without the use of a central server. Rather than placing a file on a server, then directing another person to that centralized server, peer-to-peer services use a variety of technologies to facilitate the distribution of files directly between computers, often enabling the download of a given file from multiple hosts to increase the download speed. Though peer-to-peer technology is not inherently illegal (a number of computer game developers now use peer-to-peer technology to distribute patches, thereby reducing the load on their own servers), the technology became widely associated with “free music” as the various P2P clients became popular tools for the illegal download of music and other copyrighted works.

We have chosen to, in as much as it is possible for us, block all peer-to-peer technologies on campus, primarily due to copyright concerns, but also to limit rampant misuse of our network bandwidth. If an individual needs P2P technology for an academic purpose, they can contact the Director of IT. Accommodations may be made but will likely involve some degree of monitoring of P2P usage.

Actions Taken to Prevent Copyright Infringement

In order to combat potential illegal distribution of copyrighted material through the campus network, we use the following:

  • We utilize a bandwidth shaping or other applications and procedures to block the use of most peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing clients. In some cases, we are unable to block the traffic outright and instead limit it to the slowest speed possible, effectively rendering it useless.
  • Using our campus firewall, we block inbound network connections to all hosts except very specific College-owned servers. This prohibits the use of servers on client computers on the campus network.

We accept and respond to any DMCA notifications we receive, according to our DMCA notifications policy.

Legal Alternatives

There are an increasing number of legal alternatives to peer-to-peer file sharing for acquiring copyrighted works. Educause has developed a publicly available, comprehensive list of such legal alternatives at the following website:

Copyright Penalties

Should an individual be found to be violating copyright using Crown’s network or technology resources, they will face penalties as laid out in the penalties policy.

In addition to the institutional penalties, it should be noted that civil and criminal penalties may also apply should Federal Copyright Laws be violated:

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement.

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages, affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For “willful” infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys’ fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505.

Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense.

For more information, please see the website of the U.S. Copyright Office at , especially their FAQ’s at  .

Annual Assessment of this Policy

This policy will be reviewed periodically to align it with best practices as determined by comparing and contrasting it with other institutions policies. Based on those findings, revisions to the policy will be made. This review may include examination of logs from the firewall and content filter to determine if changes are required to continue to block peer-to-peer usage on campus.

Notification to Current Students

All current students are expected to familiarize themselves with the student handbook which includes a summarized copy of the content of this policy. [Policy updated 2015-02-05]

Intercultural Experiences

Through Crown’s Destination: Serve trips, students go and learn, experientially, on short-term mission trips.

Residence Life

Residence Life at Crown College is intended to provide a meaningful experience in personal growth. By living with others in a residence hall, students can form new friendships, interact with people from different backgrounds, and learn more about themselves. Crown College is committed to building a community where thoughtfulness, trust, and mutual respect characterize life in the residence halls. More information about our housing options, meal plans, and student services can be found through the link below.

Extracurricular Activities

Students on our campus actively participate in athletics, Bible studies, cultural events, intramural sports, the Homecoming Regatta, numerous clubs, and organizations, as well as playing on our championship 18-hole disc golf course. The campus is also just 30 minutes from the Twin Cities.

Campus Services

Our campus services include career services, information technology, the college library, food services at three locations, study labs, health services, counseling services and the Campus store. You can learn more about these services through the link below.

Career Counseling

The Crown College Career Services Office offers personal assistance with career exploration, choosing a major, writing a resume and cover letter, internship and job searches, interview preparation, professional networking, finding, and applying to graduate school. We host employers on campus and hold an annual Job & Internship Fair each spring. The Counseling and Career Services website is a great resource for students, alumni and employers.

Personal Counseling

Crown College Counseling Services provides professional, short-term counseling for various issues including coping and recovery for depression, anxiety, stress, relationship struggles, adjustment issues, addiction, eating and body image issues, loss and grief, personal growth and exploration, and physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. Services are available for all Crown students.

  • All counselors in counseling services are at least master’s level academically trained in counseling and are comfortable and willing to work with students on matters of spiritual growth.
  • All services are free and completely confidential. Counseling records are NOT part of your academic record. Office hours are by appointment.

If you wish to begin the counseling process for personal or career counseling, please go to for more information, resources, and details about how to message the CCC or make an appointment.   You may also contact us at: 952-446-4352.

Many states (including MN) require a bachelor’s degree for licensure in alcohol and drug counseling. Crown’s Alcohol and Drug Counseling Programs (AS, BS, and Minor) may or may not qualify a student for licensure in their state. An associate degree in ADC may qualify a student for a temporary license in MN. Students should read their state’s requirements to know what is needed for licensure if they intend to apply to be licensed either upon completion degree or in the future. Crown enrollment professionals can also assist you in determining whether your chosen degree/minor is adequate for licensure in your state.

The 60-credit hour Master’s in Counseling degree and the BS in Alcohol and Drug Counseling are designed to lead to professional licensure as outlined by the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy website. Each state board has unique requirements for licensure. Before enrolling in a licensure program at Crown College, students should review the rules and regulations regarding professional counseling and/or Alcohol and Drug counseling for the state in which they intend to seek licensure following graduation. During the recruitment/enrollment stage, Crown will attempt to inform prospective students regarding the program’s ability to qualify for the educational component of a student’s intended state licensing board, per SARA requirements. However, it is the student’s responsibility to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their state’s board of counseling. State board information can be found here.

Enrollment in any of Crown College’s counseling programs does not guarantee a degree from Crown College nor qualification for professional licensure. Please see Crown’s college catalog, for a complete list of states where a Crown counseling degree fulfills the degree requirements for licensure.

Crown College is committed to the preparation of teachers who are dedicated to excellence and service in the Christian mission of teaching. The mission of the teacher education department is to develop classroom leaders by focusing on student’s interpersonal skills through the nurturing of human relationships. We value life-long learning and current educational theory and practice, focusing on professionalism, informed decision-making, and reflective practice. At the conclusion of the program, graduates are prepared to teach in public or private schools, Christian schools, and schools abroad, including mission schools. Crown College is approved by the Professional Educators Licensing and Standards Board of Minnesota to offer the programs indicated below, leading to licensure, and is also accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The teacher education program fulfills requirements for teacher certification or licensure in most states except those requiring a five-year program or additional specific courses. It is the student’s responsibility to know the requirements for other state licensure. Students may major in one of several teacher education programs: Elementary Education, Communication Arts and Literature Education, Social Studies Education, and Physical and Health Education.

Teacher Preparation Program Report:

A complete report for Crown College can be found at the Title II Website here.

Financial Aid

Assistance Available from Federal, State, Local and Institutional Programs – With 98 percent of our students receiving some form of financial aid, we’ll work with you to help determine the best possible financial aid package available to you given your unique circumstances. Check out our Cost + Aid page to learn more.

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations – Crown College will provide to each student, upon enrollment, a separate, clear and conspicuous written notice that advises the student that a conviction for any offense, during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV, HEA program funds, under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs, will result in the loss of eligibility for any Title IV, HEA grant, loan, or work-study assistance (HEA Sec. 484(r)(1)); (20 U.S.C. 1091(r)(1)).

Crown College will provide a notice in a timely manner to each student who has lost eligibility for Title IV, HEA assistance as a result of the penalties under HEA Sec. 484(r)(1). The notice must be a separate, clear and conspicuous written notification of the loss of eligibility and must advise the student of the ways in which the student can regain eligibility under (HEA Sec. 484(r)(2)); (20 U.S.C. 1091(r)(2)).

As soon as the Crown College Financial Aid Office is aware of a student’s situation, a notice will be sent to the student.


Student Loan Information

  • Initial Loan Counseling for Student Borrowers Loan Entrance Counseling satisfies a federal requirement to ensure that all new Crown College student borrowers understand their rights and responsibilities for each loan program they plan to borrow through. If you have borrowed student loans at another college or university, you must still complete this requirement for us. This is completed at
  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) is the legal binding document for the federal Direct Loans that is completed once every 10 years. By signing an MPN, the borrower is agreeing to repay all loans accepted under the MPN. MPNs are not school-specific and may be used across schools.
  • Exit Loan Counseling for Student Borrowers Upon graduation, withdrawal or enrolling at less than half-time status, students are required to complete loan exit counseling for each type of loan which they have borrowed. This is completed at


College Navigator site URL

Our college navigator profile can be accessed here:


Institutional Code of Conduct for Educational Loans

  • The Higher Education Opportunity Act sets conditions for educational institutions to participate in Title IV programs and requires the development of and compliance with a code of conduct prohibiting conflicts of interest for its financial aid personnel [(HEOA 487(a)(25)]. In accordance with this law, the offices, employees and agents of Crown College agree to this code of conduct prohibiting:
    • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
    • Directing borrowers to particular lenders, refusing or delaying loan certifications;
    • Accepting any type of consulting arrangement or contract to provide services to or on behalf of a lender or affiliate of a lender relating to education loans;
    • Accepting any offer of funds for private loans to students in exchange for promising a specific loan volume or preferred lender arrangement;
    • Requesting or accepting any lender assistance with call center staffing or financial aid office staffing;
    • Accepting any kind of compensation for consulting arrangements to provide services for or on behalf of a lender;
    • Soliciting or accepting any gift other than one of nominal value from a lender, guarantor or servicer of education loans (a gift is defined as any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment and loan);
    • Receiving any compensation or financial benefit for service other than reasonable reimbursement of expenses for any Financial Aid employee who serves on a lender’s advisory board.
  • Crown College Financial Aid Personnel strive to ensure that the information they provide is accurate, unbiased and does not reflect any preference arising from actual or potential personal gain and they will refrain from taking any action they believe is contrary to law, regulation or the best interests of the students and parents they serve.


Recommended Lenders

Crown College does not endorse any Private Education Loan lender, however, in order to assist you, Crown has chosen to participate in a Preferred Lender Arrangement and is providing a list of lenders who meet the following expectations:

  • Provide the commitment, stability and ability to provide loans for the long-term;
  • Provide quality customer service;
  • Demonstrate commitment to borrowers and offer quality loan servicing and default prevention strategies.
  • In addition, we have chosen to include lenders who are familiar to our borrowers, and who partner with guarantee agencies located in Minnesota. Please note that borrowers are free to select any lender, regardless of whether it appears on our preferred lender list:

Educational loans that are not part of the Federal Student Aid programs are referred to as private or alternative education loans. These loans are made to students and may have variable or fixed interest rates. Interest accrues from the time the loan funds are disbursed. Private loans are credit based and may require a co-signer. Terms and conditions of private loans vary by lender.

Crown College recommends that all eligible degree-seeking students apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and exhaust all federal loan program options before considering a private educational loan. If you have exhausted all other financial aid resources, you may want to consider a private loan. The Crown College Financial Aid Office is committed to providing students with the best possible services. As a part of this commitment, we seek lenders who demonstrate excellence.


Lender Disclosures

Health and Safety

As a general principle at Crown College, the academic courses, residence life meetings, faculty/staff meetings and chapels encourage the prevention of drug and alcohol abuse. This is based on Scriptures such as Proverbs 20:1 and Ephesians 5:18

Faculty/Staff/Students are encouraged to visit the government-sponsored website National Institute on Drug Abuse to learn about prevention principles, risk factors and protective factors, planning for drug abuse prevention in the community, applying prevention principles to drug abuse prevention programs, and examples of research-based drug abuse prevention programs.

At Crown College, we have established standards of conduct that clearly prohibit the unlawful possession, use or distribution of drugs and alcohol by students. Employees are prohibited of the same on the College’s property, in the presence of students, or as part of the College’s activities. We operate in conformity with the Drug-Free Communities Act of 1997 and the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.

The possession or use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco, non-medicinal narcotics or hallucinogenic drugs (including marijuana) is forbidden and all the college policies pertaining to such items apply to students while they are enrolled at Crown College. As these offenses are violations of our Community Covenant, they may lead to one or a combination of the following: a warning, fines, probation, community service, suspension, dismissal, parental contact and police contact.

Crown College will impose sanctions on students and employees for violations of the standards of conduct (consistent with local, state, and federal law) and a description of these sanctions, up to and including dismissal, termination of employment, and referral for prosecution.

This information, and more, is provided in writing to new and continuing students each fall and to the new faculty and staff at new employee orientation. Continuing employees may find this information in the Employee Handbook. Copies of this information are also available to the Department of Education and the general public upon request.

Minnesota Statute 135A.14 requires the campus Health Services to retain an immunization record for all college students who reside on campus and take at least one on-campus course or who live off-campus and take at least two on-campus courses. The law requires documentation of two immunizations: 1) current tetanus/diphtheria (Td) within the past 10 years, and 2) complete measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) series of two doses. The month and year of vaccination are required. Medical and conscientious exemptions are permitted with physician and notary public documentation. Students failing to fulfill the requirements of this statute may be delayed in registering for classes. The College recommends meningococcal, varicella (chickenpox) and hepatitis B vaccinations. Other vaccines associated with travel may be recommended for campus mission trips.

  • Campus Security does not serve as a formal campus police force, nor do they have authority from local law authorities to make arrests. They do however have authority to uphold Crown College safety policies regarding vehicles and building access and are empowered to involve local law enforcement as needed. Campus Safety personnel monitor and inspect college property to assess safety and security concerns (e.g., broken locks, burnt out exterior lights, etc.), record all reported campus crimes and incidents, serve as a liaison between the student and local law authorities and respond to campus emergencies. Security personnel are to be respected as having authority to enforce current safety policies and regulations approved by college administration.
  • During the academic year, between 3:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m, the security personnel on duty will receive calls, record information, notify emergency service personnel as needed and assist those involved in a given safety situation. Calls outside these hours will be handled by the front receptionist or our outside call center.  The Student Development Office may be contacted by Campus Safety staff to assist those involved, if necessary. The college does provide pastoral and professional counsel for individuals who have been a victim of a crime. These counselors will report to the authorities as required by law.
  • Campus Safety can be reached at 952-446-4101

Crime Statistics – The following campus crimes were reported to campus security authorities between January 1, 2011, and December 31, 2022.

Murder and non-negligent manslaughter000000000000
Forcible sex offenses (including forcible rape)000000000000
Non-forcible sex offenses000000000000
Aggravated assault000000000000
Motor vehicle theft000000000000
All hate crimes involving bodily injury000000000000
All liquor, drug or weapons law violations resulting in an arrest000000000000

Crown College keeps a record of each reported safety incident or crime that occurs on campus and provides a yearly report to the Department of Education in compliance with the Clergy Act. To view this report, please click here. Likewise, you may access the Clery Act Crime Report on the U.S. Department of Education website here by clicking on “Get data for one institution/campus”.

Fire Safety Policies are based on guidance from the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. This law requires any institution maintaining on-campus student housing to issue an annual fire safety report. Included in this report are statistics regarding the number and causes of fires, number of fire injuries or deaths and values of property damages. This report must also include information on each on-campus student housing fire safety system, the number of regular mandatory fire drills, fire safety policies, education programs and plans for any needed fire safety improvements. Crown College developed this report to comply with the 2008 act and to better inform the Crown College community — students, prospective students, parents, faculty and staff — on how fires affect the campus residential facilities. It includes all of the required information on fires, preventative actions, campus guidelines and training that is conducted to reduce the likelihood and impact of campus fires.


Section I: Definitions from within the law

Fire — Any instance of open flame or other burning in a place not intended to contain the burning or in an uncontrolled manner.

Fire drill — A supervised practice of a mandatory evacuation of a building for a fire.

Fire-related injury — Any instance in which a person is injured as a result of a fire, including an injury sustained from a natural or accidental cause while involved in fire control, attempting rescue or escaping from the dangers of the fire. The term person may include students, faculty, staff, visitors, firefighters, or any other individuals.

Fire-related death — Any instance in which a person is killed as a result of a fire, including death resulting from a natural or accidental cause while involved in fire control, attempting rescues or escaping from the dangers of a fire, or deaths that occur within one year of injuries sustained as a result of the fire.

Fire safety system — Any mechanism or system related to the detection of a fire, the warning resulting from a fire or the control of a fire including; Sprinkler or other fire extinguishing systems, fire detection devices, stand-alone smoke alarms, and/or devices that alert one to the presence of a fire, such as horns, bells or strobe lights, smoke-control and reduction mechanisms, and fire doors and walls that reduce the spread of a fire.

Value of property damage — The estimated value of the loss of the structure and contents, in terms of the cost of replacement in like kind and quantity, including contents damaged by fire, related damages caused by smoke, water and overhaul. However, it does not include indirect loss, such as business interruption.

Fire Log — A fire log is kept at the Department of Campus Safety, open to the public during normal business hours.


Section II: Residence Hall & Apartment Fire Drills

Fire drills are held once a semester for each residential facility. Fire drills are mandatory, supervised evacuations of the building for a fire. The fire drill is scheduled with the Department of Campus Safety and Residential Life. Students who fail to leave the building during a fire drill will be fined and the incident is turned over to Resident Life and Operations to determine the consequence.


Section III: Fire and Life Safety Education

All first-year students receive fire safety training during their orientation period at the beginning of the academic school year. Additional training is provided to all residents by the Resident Life Staff at the beginning of the academic school year. The Campus Safety website and this publication serve as additional resource material for educating the entire campus community.


Section IV: Fire Safety Improvement & Upgrades

On an annual basis, Crown College reviews the fire systems in our residence facilities and makes upgrades, repairs and/or revisions when opportunities or issues are identified.


Section V: Fire Safety Regulations

Candles/Flammable Materials/Incense

Candles, incense, oil lamps, etc., (typically anything utilizing a wick or flame or consuming flammable material, including such things as decorative candles, potpourri simmer pots, and Sterno cans), are NOT allowed in residence hall rooms, college-owned apartments or houses. Violations are subject to citations and/or other disciplinary action. Storage of volatile materials or other flammables (e.g., gasoline) is likewise not permitted.

Electrical Appliances

Students may utilize electrical appliances in residence halls, such as radio, television, personal computer, DVD/CD player, electric coffee pot, personal lamp, popcorn popper (in student rooms only), fan, shaver, portable hair dryer, other personal care appliances, clock, microwave oven and compact refrigerator. Heating or cooking appliances with open coils (e.g., hot plates, air conditioners, pop-up or oven style toasters, sun lamps, hot tubs and electric blankets) may not be used in student rooms. Touch lamps, either halogen or incandescent, are permitted for use in residents halls only with an approved safety cage covering the top of the fixture. Electric extension cords are not to be used in a manner that may create a fire hazard, such as running a cord under a rug/carpet or in a place where the insulation may be worn out. Students are cautioned to be very careful with electrical appliances and extension cords. Tampering with electrical systems, such as installing dimmer switches, ceiling fans or other alterations to wiring is prohibited for the safety of all residents and the general upkeep of the building.

Fire Safety

Evacuation instructions — All students and guests are expected to respond appropriately whenever a fire alarm is sounded. Each person is expected to observe the fire safety guidelines. Violations are issued as citations.

When an alarm is sounded – Leave lights on in the room, close and lock the door. All individuals must leave the building using the nearest exit. Remain outside until the staff gives the all-clear sign. Failure to leave the building during the sounding of a fire alarm is a violation of both state and college codes. Violations are issued as citations.

Fire Safety Equipment — Fire extinguishers, fire alarms, smoke detectors, sprinklers and other fire and safety equipment are placed in the halls for the safety of the residents in the building. Misuse of the fire and safety equipment is a serious violation of both state and college codes.


Section VI: Fire Marshal’s Directives

Crown College is concerned about the safety and welfare of the students living in the residence halls and has both a legal and moral responsibility to see that the State Fire Marshal’s directives are met. Crown College cannot and will not play games with fire and safety standards, policies and procedures. The intent of these fire directives is very clear; to make Crown College residence halls as safe as possible. Students may not keep anything in the residence halls that will increase the risk of fire or explosion or which is contrary to the directives of the State Fire Marshal’s office, or the terms of the College’s insurance policies. Misuse of fire and safety equipment including, but not limited to, fire extinguishers and fire alarms, is a violation of both Crown College regulations and state laws. The state Fire Marshal’s office has notified Crown College that the following cannot be allowed in students’ rooms:


Carpeting and Carpet pad: Carpeting and carpet pads are permitted. Due to the concern of fires all carpet and pads must be cut to allow the door to open freely.

Door Obstructions: Doors must be able to easily open to their full capacity. There must be a clear and easy exit from each room that may be readily located in the case of fire, smoke, sleepiness, intoxication, darkness or the confusion of an actual emergency.

Flammable materials hanging from or draped across ceiling: The Deputy Fire Marshal has specifically banned any and all flammable materials hanging or draped from the ceiling, including hanging room dividers (whether hanging from the ceiling or suspended below it). The Deputy Fire Marshal has agreed to allow wall hangings (flat against the wall), but has suggested these be made of a fire resistant material.

Residential Sprinkling System

The residence hall hallways and each room contain sprinklers that will activate either through the presence of fire or misuse. Should a student set off the sprinkler system as a result of misuse, whether within or outside their room, they will be held liable for all damages, plus a prescribed fine.


Residents violating these directives are legally liable for both civil and criminal negligence should a fire or other related problems occur. Additionally, should Crown College discover violations, the student(s) responsible are subject to formal disciplinary action.


Section VII: Smoking Policy

Crown College’s smoking policy is covered by the Student, Faculty and Staff handbooks.


Section VIII: Fire/Life Safety Inspections

Throughout the academic school year a Residence Life, Facility Management Services or Operations staff person will do a fire/life inspection of your room. Should a violation be found, you will receive a letter indicating what the violations were and you will be expected to immediately comply. If the violation(s) have not been corrected after an unannounced re-inspection, you and/or your roommate will be fined and will be subject to disciplinary action.

Some common violations are as follows: Extension cords and multi-tap electric units without a breaker; items stored closer than 18 inches to a sprinkler head; blocking of electrical panels; blocking of egress (exit) paths; evidence of burning of candles, incense or tobacco products; covering a door with paper or other combustible material; use of electrical wiring, devices and/or appliances that are modified or damaged; use of a portable heater; tampered with smoke detector or CO detector; use of halogen lamp/lighting; unsafe lofting or raising of beds — including rooms with no guardrails; strings of lights, twinkle lights or holiday lights; any other situation deemed unsafe by the staff inspector.


Fire Log Summary

Fiscal YearTotal # of Housing FiresCause/TypeNumber of InjuriesProperty Damage
20211Plastic Garbage in Oven00


Fire Log Statistical Data

Fiscal YearResidential FacilityDate/TimeCause of FireNumber of Treatment InjuriesNumber of DeathsValue of Property Damage
2021Tewinkle11/30/21 – 4amOven00Oven


Fire Log Residential Data

BuildingSprinkledSmoke Alarms Unmonitored by Building Mgmt.Smoke Alarms Monitored by Building Mgmt.Fire Ext. DevicesEvacuation PlansFire Drills in Actual Year
Main 2NoNoYesYesYes2
Main 3NoNoYesYesYes2
Main 4NoNoYesYesYes2
SBPI HallYesNoYesYesYes2
Faith 100NoYesNoYesYes2
Faith 200NoYesNoYesYes2
Faith 300NoYesNoYesYes2
Faith 400NoYesNoYesYes2
Faith 500NoYesNoYesYes2
Faith 600NoYesNoYesYes2


Emergency Response, Evacuation Procedures and Missing Person Notification- operations

Emergency Response – Call 9-1-1 immediately if the situation is a life-threatening emergency. In all instances, call Campus Safety (Ext. 5100 or 952-412-3658). Stay with the individual and do not attempt to move him/her unless they are in danger. Calmly allow emergency personnel to address the situation.

Evacuation Procedures

Fire – If an alarm with strobe lights is going off inside the building, it is signaling a fire alarm. You should exit and calmly close your room/office/classroom door behind you, assist persons with disabilities or special needs, and move immediately out of the building into the parking lots past the fire lanes for fire evacuation. If you are in a classroom, guide students to the nearest exit in a calm and orderly manner. Do not enter buildings until authorized by emergency personnel.

Natural Gas Leak – Remain calm and guide students to evacuate the building or area immediately while assisting persons with disabilities or special needs. Call Campus Facilities 952-446-4183 or 952-412-3659 after hours. Do NOT use light switches, cell phones or anything else that could cause a spark. Do NOT use or tamper with any equipment.

Information for Crime Victims about Disciplinary Proceedings

Crown College will, upon written request, disclose to the alleged victim of any crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense, the results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the College against a student who is the alleged perpetrator of such crime or offense. If the alleged victim is deceased as a result of the crime or offense, the information shall be provided, upon request, to the next of kin of the alleged victim.

Director of Operations

952-446-4132 |

Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates + Financial Support Data

Crown College does not provide athletic scholarships per NCAA rules for Division III schools.


Athletic Department Information:

Interim Director of Athletics: Joel Johnson

NCAA Division III (with football) 952-446-4106

The U.S. Department of Education provides the public with The Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool to retrieve necessary data and compare it among other institutions. This information can be accessed here:


Voter Registration

Voter Registration
For voter registration information please click here.

CARES Act Updated Quarterly Expenditure Report

For CARES ACT reporting please click this link: