- A Message from President Joel Wiggins, Ph.D.
Leadership is important to any organization, especially Christian organizations that equip tomorrow’s leaders for impacting God’s kingdom.
Crown College is an institution that is nearly a century old because of God’s provision and wisdom for the 15 presidents who served before me. In addition, there have been countless faculty and staff who have sacrificially served our students because of their love for our Lord, and because of their firm belief in what Crown College is all about … equipping Christians to serve and influence our world. I am privileged to serve our students, along with a great team. We are financially sound and on the verge of powerfully launching into our second century.
As an institution, our journey will be led by God; we will seek His guidance and wisdom, prayerfully, each day. We will passionately pursue opportunities to provide our students, whether on campus or online, the following outcomes:
- Placement in a job for which they are prepared
- Meaningful internships
- As little debt as possible upon graduation
- Profound service opportunities
- International experience
It is my goal that we challenge our students academically, nurture and engage our students spiritually, and embrace their pursuit of vibrant service around the globe. As an alumnus of Crown, I am much like our students: Called to Serve. Prepared to Lead.
Contact The President:
- Biography of Dr. Joel Wiggins
Dr. Wiggins is a 21st-century leader, blending business, ministry, education and fundraising expertise to focus on a transformational student experience.
Academic Background and Experience
Dr. Wiggins’ educational background includes:
- B.A. in History from Crown College, St. Bonifacius, MN
- M.Div., Trinity International University, Deerfield, IL
- Th.M., Leadership Studies, Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL
- D.Min., Church Leadership, Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL
- Ph.D. in Communication Studies from The University of Texas at Austin
While in Austin, Dr. Wiggins taught graduate and undergraduate courses at The University of Texas and in the LeTourneau University MBA extension program.
Dr. Wiggins was ordained in the C&MA and has 16 years of on-staff ministry—mostly as the senior minister in three churches in Illinois, Virginia and Nebraska. He served on district church growth committees with each of the churches, working to plant other churches.
Since leaving full-time ministry in 1992, Joel has remained active in the church he and his wife, Kathy, have attended regularly. He has taught adult education classes, been a church greeter, participated in small groups, and even done a short stint as interim pastor of an Evangelical Free Church. Also, Dr. Wiggins was a founder and teacher of the Austin Christian Executives, a gathering of about 40 key leaders from various church and business backgrounds.
In 1996, Dr. Wiggins joined the staff of the Austin Technology Incubator, a non-profit devoted to supporting the formation and growth of high tech startups in Austin, Texas. In 2000, he became its Executive Director. From 2005 until moving to Crown, he was CEO of the Enterprise Center of Johnson County, a new venture development organization in Lenexa, Kansas.
In 2006, Joel co-founded the Mid-America Angels, a network of high net worth individuals who have invested more than $10 million in startups for an ownership stake in the companies. He recently raised money to conduct research for a book he is writing, which involved interviewing 100 entrepreneurs who have sold their companies for between $50-$500 million.
Dr. Wiggins also has extensive international experience, having conducted workshops on entrepreneurship in more than a dozen countries.
In 2013, Joel received the prestigious President’s Award from the National Business Incubation Association during the NBIA International Conference in Boston, attended by people from 43 nations. The award recognizes Dr. Wiggins’ lifetime achievement in support of business incubation. This is only the fourth President’s Award ever given by the NBIA, the world’s leading organization advancing business incubation and entrepreneurship. For more details on this award, click here . For more on NBIA, click here .
Joel Wiggins is married to Kathy, whom he met at Crown College. The Wiggins’ have two single children – Ryan, who works as a civilian at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, and Heather, a graduate student at Duke University. Dr. Wiggins enjoys sports, traveling (they have visited each of the U.S. Presidential Museum/Libraries), reading (especially biographies), hiking, and playing golf.
Kathy Wiggins is a 1979 graduate of Crown College (Christian Education). They were married in 1976 in the Hibbing (MN)Alliance Church, Kathy’s home church. Most recently, Kathy was a project manager/trainer for a healthcare software company. Before that, she served as a quality manager at two healthcare companies. Kathy has also been a real estate agent, and provided administrative support for both the Missions Department at Trinity International University and the Economic Research Department at ConAgra Foods.
Crown College Cabinet
Crown College has a dedicated and experienced team of professionals who oversee the College’s daily functions. We invite you to meet these leaders and learn about their backgrounds and interests.
Board of Trustees
Officer and Trustee rosters, effective February, 2015
Rev. Jon Rich
- Chairman of the Board
- Superintendent, Midwest District
- Bloomingdale, IL
The Christian and Missionary Alliance District Representatives
Rev. Randall Burg
- North Central District Representative
- Pastor, Park Side Church
- Waconia, MN
- Western Great Lakes District Representative
- Vice President for Planning and Analysis, Schneider National, Inc.
- Appleton, WI
Dr. Keh-Shew Lu
- Southwest District Representative
- President and CEO, Diodes, Inc.
- Plano, TX
Rev. Wendell Nelson
- MidAmerica District Representative
- Sr. Associate Pastor, Christ Community Church
- Omaha, NE
Rev. Jerry Soung
- Hmong District Representative
- Superintendent, Hmong District
- Thornton, CO
- Rocky Mountain District Representative
- Treasurer, Evanston Alliance Church
- Office Manager, John A. Thomas Law Office
- Evanston, WY
Members at Large
- President, Custom Computing Corporation
- Blaire, NE
- President, MATTER
- St. Louis Park, MN
Dr. Verna Cornelia Price
- CEO of The Power of People Consulting Group
- Minneapolis, MN
Dr. Pang Foua Yang Rhodes
- Assistant Professor, Argosy University
- Champlin, MN
Latoya R. Conners Gray
- Sr. Director Technology and Strategic Initiatives, Sears Holdings
- Elgin, IL
- Senior Vice President and General Manager, Mortenson Development, Inc.
- Minneapolis, MN
Rep. Jim Nash
- Minnesota House of Representatives – House District 47A
- Waconia, MN
- President – Trust Investment Management & Trust
- Glencoe, MN
- Sr. Program Manager, United Airlines
- Roselle, IL
Rev. Hector Belen
- Ordained Minister, Christian and Missionary Alliance
- McAllen, TX