Online Master of Arts in Ministry Leadership
Ministry Leadership Graduate Degree at Crown
Mention ministry leadership and, usually, seminary comes to mind. Crown provides an excellent and practical alternative to the seminary experience: The online Christian Master’s in Ministry Leadership. An advanced degree with an emphasis on practical leadership, the program prepares men and women for leadership positions in churches, missions and other faith-based organizations. Our graduates also actively study and engage a changing culture from a Christian perspective.
The online Master’s in Ministry Leadership empowers leaders with skills in researching one’s ministry context so that effective strategies can be developed and implemented. This preparation includes coursework related to key leadership competencies in the areas of spiritual formation, social and cultural analysis, theories of leadership, and the theology of work and leadership.
M.A. in Ministry Leadership students can choose from numerous Emphasis tracks including:
- Biblical Studies Emphasis
- Christian Studies Emphasis
- Church Development Emphasis
- Community Development Emphasis
- Disaster and Emergency Management Emphasis
- Executive Leadership Emphasis
- Higher Education Emphasis (new)
- Intercultural Ministries Emphasis
- International Christian Education Emphasis
- Pastoral Counseling Emphasis
- Pastoral Leadership Emphasis
- Social Science Research Emphasis
- Spiritual Formation Emphasis
The online Master’s in Ministry Leadership is designed so that students can also pursue the Master of Divinity degree. Students hoping to pursue the M.Div. in addition to MA degree are encouraged to pursue the Christian Studies emphasis.
Anyone actively involved in leadership and ministry is a life-long learner. So our M.A. in Ministry Leadership includes research components that engage students in analyzing the ministry context in which they are working, and in enhancing their relevance in addressing the needs of the people they are leading. In this way, the program equips graduates to innovate and move their faith-based organizations into the future.
Faculty with the highest academic degrees, as well as significant ministry and mission experience, lead the courses in Crown’s dynamic online learning environment. The quality of the Christian Ministry M.A. is reflected in top rankings by both MONEY Magazine and Christian Universities Online.
Crown’s easy-to-use online learning environment allows you the freedom and flexibility to complete coursework at your convenience. Tuition is priced competitively lower than similar accredited institutions. In fact, 98 percent of those enrolled at Crown receive student loans, scholarships or financial aid for graduate students.
Learn More About Crown College
Ministry Leadership (M.A.) Courses
- CST 6210 - Theology of Leadership, Vocation and Work 3 Credits
- CST 6212 - Hermeneutics & Theological Research 3 Credits
- GRD 5013 - Leadership and Culture 3 Credits
- GRD 5014 - Organizational Communication 3 Credits
- GRD 5208 - Strategic Planning for Leaders 3 Credits
- MIN 5218 - Social & Cultural Foundations for Ministry 3 Credits
- MIN 5512 - Facilitating Spiritual Formation 3 Credits
- MIN 6211 - Spiritual Formation for Leaders 3 Credits
General electives should be selected in consultation with one's academic advisor. General electives accepted for transfer into this degree program should normally fall within the areas of study represented by the following emphasis tracks. If an emphasis track is chosen, the student will need to complete additional elective credits to reach the required number of credits for the degree.
Note: Students hoping to continue on to pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree are encouraged to pursue the Christian Studies emphasis track and consult with their advisor to choose electives which will transfer into the M.Div.
Emphasis Tracks - 9-10 Credits
Note: If required emphasis track courses have been taken as part of the degree core, an additional 3 credits of electives per course will be required in order to fulfill the emphasis requirements.
To view these courses in our online catalog system, click here.
(This will open in a new browser window or tab.)
The Master of Arts in Ministry Leadership is designed to prepare men and women for a variety of leadership positions in local churches, para-church ministries, and non-profit organizations.
Graduates of the MAML will be prepared to:
- Demonstrate a commitment to spiritual formation as a lifelong journey and correlate spiritual formation with ministry and leadership development
- Analyze one’s personal and leadership decisions in light of the principles of effective stewardship, time-management, teamwork, and leadership initiative
- Apply the theology of leadership and work to an area of ministry leadership practice
- Employ sound hermeneutical and theological principles of Scripture and identify and assess unsound theologies and hermeneutical approaches in print, audio, and visual media
- Create a strategy for facilitating spiritual formation in a particular ministry context
- Analyze one’s social and cultural context in order to develop strategies for local ministry
- Write an effective strategic plan
- Recommend changes based on a communication audit
Graduate School (GS) Tuition
Online Graduate 2020-2021 Costs
Tuition Per Credit (except MBA Program) $555 MBA Program Tuition Per Credit $575 Application Fee $25 Technology Fee $140 per semester
Check Course Catalog for any additional fees related to your specific program.
Ministry Leadership M.A. – Career Paths
Crown College has designed the online M.A. in Ministry Leadership program to provide graduates with a concrete understanding of the Christian faith and theology, and how to integrate this understanding into service on foreign mission fields or in other areas of ministry. Our graduates’ Ministry Leadership Master’s degree career paths have included:
- Pastoral leadership
- Church Business Administrator
- Executiver Director
- Nonprofit Director
- Health and welfare ministries
- Parachurch leadership
- Music Worship Leader
- Overseas missions
- Biblical education
- Youth and family ministries
- Children’s ministries
- Bi-vocational ministry
- Youth With a Mission (YWAM)
The FAQs provided below address many questions you might have regarding Crown College’s online master’s degree in Ministry Leadership. Feel free to contact your admissions advisor directly for any additional questions you might have.What areas are covered by a Ministry Leadership (MA) degree?The Ministry Leadership degree from Crown College is an advanced degree focusing on the dynamics of leadership and how one can achieve optimal results for the organization by applying biblical principles, conducting appropriate research, and understanding the components of organizational development.What classes would this program include?
Some of the required courses for a Ministry Leadership (MA) degree include:
- Spiritual Formation for Ministry
- Strategic Planning
- Organizational Communication
- Hermeneutics & Theological Research
- Leadership and Culture
- Theology of Leadership, Vocation, and Calling
How Long Does it Take to Complete a Ministry Leadership Master’s Degree?Crown’s 36 credit hour master’s degree is normally completed in two years, but students may elect to complete the degree more quickly or slowly depending on their availability.How often do I have to be on campus?The Master’s degree in Ministry Leadership is 100% online and has no requirement for you to travel to campus for any aspect of the program. Although it is a fully online degree program, you will have a dedicated advisor throughout the program who can assist with various departments. You will also have direct access to each of your instructors and will be able to reach them via phone or email. While not required, we do hope you will join us on-site for your graduation! We host several special events for our online students and their families at our main campus in St. Bonifacius, Minnesota the day before graduation. The actual commencement service is held on a Saturday.What jobs can I get with this degree?
Graduates of the Master’s in Ministry Leadership program often pursue jobs in the ministry or faith-based organizations. Typical jobs might include:
- Senior Pastor
- Executive Pastor
- Administrative Pastor
- Associate Pastor
- Worship Pastor
- Youth and Family Pastor
- Children’s Pastor
- Spiritual Director
- Church Planter
- Overseas Missionary
- YWAM Worker
- Campus Crusade Worker
- Hospital Chaplain
- Prison Chaplain
- Administrative Specialist
- Deacon, Elder, Board Member
- Leader of a Nonprofit Organization
- Faith-based Relief Organization
Are there degree specializations or concentrations?
The Ministry Leadership (MA) degree is concentrated on leading the organization and developing people. Students are allowed to select from eight areas of emphasis:
- Christian Studies
- Spiritual Formation
- Pastoral Leadership
- Executive Leadership
- Pastoral Counseling
- Intercultural Ministries
- Disaster and Emergency Management
- Social Science Research
Do I need to be employed or active in ministry to qualify for this program?Individuals applying to the online Ministry Leadership program are not required to be in ministry positions; in fact, many students are in careers outside the church and have selected this program to enhance the value of their service to the local church or ministry. For vocational ministers, the degree provides professional development with an emphasis on organizational leadership.Can I transfer into the Ministry Leadership from another degree program?Generally, no. While some life experience and work history (such as current or previous pastoral work) may be considered for credit, as a master-level professional degree, all students will be required to have a bachelor’s degree to be considered for the program and most students will be required to complete all courses included in the curriculum.