About Crown College
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
Crown College provides an affordable professional development option through our online Christian Graduate Certificate programs. Students enrolled in these programs benefit from short, 7-week online courses and access to the same outstanding faculty teaching in our Master’s degrees.
- Four course (12 credit) graduate certificates that can be earned with less than a year of part-time study.
- Affordable pricing. $4,134 for the whole program.*
- Convenient online courses designed for the schedules of working adults.
- Engaging instructors who have experience in their fields of study.
- Coursework that is applicable to your work context.
Crown Graduate Certificates are designed especially for:
- Professionals with experience in their field who need advanced training or credentialing.
- Leaders who have a Master’s degree in another field, but want to do more focused studies that are directly applicable to their work.
- Learners who want to try graduate work without committing to a full 36 hour Master’s degree program. (Graduate Certificates can transfer into several of Crown’s Master’s degree programs for those who want to continue.)
*Tuition only. Does not include books and $130/semester technology fees. Students in certificate programs are not eligible for federal or state financial aid.
Graduate Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management:
The Graduate Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management is designed to help students:
- Successfully lead organizations in domestic and international contexts.
- Learn effective leadership strategies for each phase in the disaster management cycle.
- Enhance skills in areas such as emergency preparedness, operations management and interagency coordination.
- Develop the skills needed to effectively serve victims of disaster.
“Crown’s B.S. degree in Disaster and Emergency Management uniquely positions graduates to work within government, nonprofit and for-profit organizations to effectively and professionally respond to crises. Our graduates will apply their leadership and management expertise using strategic planning and decision-making models from a Christian perspective, bringing ethics and cultural sensitivity to the practice of emergency and crisis management.” – Darin Mather, PhD, Program Chair, Social Sciences
Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management Courses
To view these courses in our online catalog system, click here.
(This will open in a new browser window or tab.)
- Degree Options
DEM Graduate Emphasis The emphasis in Disaster and Emergency Management can be taken as part of Crown’s Master of Arts degrees in Organizational Leadership, Global Leadership, Ministry Leadership, Christian Studies or the Master of Divinity. This allows students to pair their interest in Disaster Management with degrees designed to train leaders in various organizational, international and ministry contexts.Accelerated Master’s Degree Program Undergraduate students who wish to obtain a Master’s degree, can take graduate level coursework as part of their Bachelor’s program and apply these courses toward their MA degree. This can greatly cut the time it takes to complete the Master’s and it saves money. Disaster and Emergency Management courses can be taken as part of Crown’s Master of Arts degrees in Organizational Leadership, Global Leadership, Ministry Leadership, Christian Studies or the Master of Divinity. This allows students to pair their interest in Disaster Management with accelerated degrees designed to train leaders in various organizational, international and ministry contexts.Graduate Certificate Students who do not wish to complete a full MA program, can receive a 12 credit Graduate Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management. Undergraduate students can take graduate level coursework as part of their Bachelor’s program and apply these courses toward a graduate certificate.
Some of the positions served by individuals with expertise in Disaster Management could include:
- Disaster Program Manager
- Disaster Workforce Engagement Manager
- Emergency Communications Specialist
- Executive Director
- Individual & Community Preparedness Specialist
- Lead Disaster Specialist
- Manager, Information Management & Planning
- Materials & Logistics Coordinator Manager
- Volunteer Services Officer
- Director of Emergency Services
- Director of Volunteer Services
- Homeland Security Officer
- FEMA Agent
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Disaster Recovery Manager
What do I need to pursue this degree? Those applying for entrance into this program will be required to have an accredited bachelor’s degree in any subject. Experience in the field of Disaster Management is helpful, but not necessary.How long does it take to complete the certificate? It depends on your pace, but most students complete the certificate in less than a year.How often do I have to be on campus? Crown’s certificate programs are 100% online and have no requirement for you to travel to campus for any aspect of the program. Although it is a fully online program, you will have a dedicated advisor who will provide academic support, guidance and advice throughout the program. You will also have direct access to each of your instructors and will be able to reach them via phone or email.Do I have to meet for class at a specific time? Crown’s online classes are asynchronous meaning that there are no set meeting times. Students must meet regular assignment deadlines (usually on Thursday and Sunday night), but they can complete their work at any time during the week that best fits their schedules. Do I need to be a trained military professional, law enforcement officer, medical personnel, or volunteer already to complete this program? No, although some familiarity with first response positions will certainly help for this certificate program.Can I transfer into the MA program if I’m still working on my bachelor’s degree? Students are required to have a bachelor’s degree to be considered for the program. Undergraduate students at Crown College have the option of taking several graduate level Disaster and Emergency Management classes to count toward their undergraduate degree. This will allow them to complete their graduate program more quickly when they start it.
About Crown College