Minor in Alcohol and Drug Counseling

Online Alcohol and Drug Counseling Certification

Alcohol and Drug Counseling Minor

The online ADC program will provide you with the skills needed to help individuals struggling with addiction to find healing. The program examines the effects of substance abuse on individuals and families with special attention given to the real emotional, cognitive, cultural, professional, financial and spiritual consequences of addiction. Crown’s Christian-centered counseling program addresses how to recognize and respond to addiction, how to support and help those in need, and the role that faith plays in recovery. Through your courses and internship experience you will be prepared to become a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) through the MN Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy (BBHT).

Did you know that Alcohol and Drug Counseling is the only field where you can work as a counselor with a Bachelor’s Degree? (No Master’s required.)

What makes Crown’s program unique?

  • Christ-centered
  • Completely online
  • Major or minor in ADC
  • Combine ADC coursework with degrees in Psychology/Counseling, Ministry, Criminal Justice and more
  • Use your ADC coursework as part of an accelerated Master of Arts in Counseling Program
  • Small class sizes allow for individualized attention
  • Each student is assigned an academic advisor whose only job is to help students succeed

If you aren’t sure which program is right for you, click here for a helpful flowchart. 


Learn More About Crown College


    Alcohol and Drug Counseling Minor Courses

    Total - 18 Credits


    Students in the School of Online Studies should take PSY 3010 - Introduction to Drug and Alcohol Counseling  and PSY 3538 - Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy .

    Option: Accelerated Degree Program

    Qualified students in the Alcohol and Drug Counseling Minor may apply for an accelerated degree program to earn their Counseling (M.A.)  degree in an additional two years instead of the typical three years. Click here for more detailed information regarding the acceptance process for this option.

    Course Requirements for MA/Counseling

    Students who are accepted into the accelerated Counseling (M.A.)  program will substitute the following graduate level courses into the undergraduate degree to fulfill the Alcohol and Drug Counseling minor requirements.

    Undergraduate Course Graduate Course                                                                   
    PSY 3010 - Introduction to Drug and Alcohol Counseling   COU 5216 - Addictions and Substance Abuse  
    PSY 3012 - Psychopharmacology   COU 6312 - Psychopharmacology for Alcohol and Drug Counseling  
    PSY 3060 - Diversity Issues in Counseling   COU 6010 - Multicultural Counseling  
    PSY 3538 - Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy   COU 5010 - Theories and Practices of Counseling  
    PSY 4012 - Case Management for Alcohol and Drug Counseling   COU 5412 - Alcohol and Drug Case Management  


    Click for more information about the Counseling (M.A.)  program.

    To view these courses in our online catalog system, click here.
    (This will open in a new browser window or tab.)

    Crown’s B.S. Alcohol and Drug Counseling program is designed to prepare students to:
    1. Understand the complexity and multifaceted nature of the helping relationship.
    2. Create documentation following the professional standards of the field.
    3. Integrate a Christian perspective in counseling and psychotherapy.
    4. Cultivate ongoing professional development skills.
    5. Maintain personal, spiritual, physical, and emotional wellness of the counselor.
    6. Recognize diversity and embrace a cross-cultural approach to counseling.
    Kera Kilde, LADC 2016 Graduate The ADC program at Crown College provided me with the education and experience I needed to become an LADC in MN. I appreciated how the professors provided a holistic approach to chemical dependency and included a Christian perspective to counseling. Through my internship experience, I was able to put my “book knowledge” into practice. I completed my 880 hours of internship at MN Adult & Teen Challenge in Minneapolis, MN. The skills I gained during the internship enhanced my ability to work effectively with clients.I am currently employed at MN Adult & Teen Challenge as an LADC. I am passionate about helping my clients through the turbulent first year of recovery, providing them with hope and encouragement, and playing a part in their story of freedom from addiction. This field is challenging and rewarding. It takes dedication, assertiveness, and a passion to help others.
    John Norwood, LADC 2016 Crown Graduate When I started Crown in 2012 I knew that it would be an incredible experience, but I did not realize then how my life would be changed both personally and professionally. The ADC program was added after I started my undergrad program, and deciding to enroll in the program was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The ADC program was fairly new to Crown College, and I believe I was the third student to go through the program. The encouragement and guidance I received both throughout the program courses and into my internships were incredible. The staff was always there to support me and answer any questions I had regarding courses and my internship experiences. I completed my first internship at Park Avenue Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota and my second internship at Recovery Plus Adolescent in St. Cloud, Minnesota. After completing my internships and taking my LADC exam I was offered a position at Park Avenue Center, and am currently employed there as a Licensed Drug and Alcohol Counselor, while attending Grad school for Marriage and Family Therapy.
    Addie Michlitsch, MA, LPCC, LADC, Professor in ADC Program The Alcohol and Drug Counseling Program at Crown College equips students for licensure upon completion of all program requirements. It provides training in light of biblical truth and encompasses holistic approaches to client care. Upon graduation, students have the necessary skills to work with clients in Christian or secular settings.
    Darin Mather, PhD, Program Chair, Social Sciences “As Christians, we are called to serve those in need. Addictions affect millions of individuals, their families and society as a whole. Crown’s online Alcohol and Drug Counseling Minor equips students to address this expanding need by providing competent, professional care that is coupled with Christian compassion.”

    ADC Minor Students can get a minor in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, which can be combined with a number of different majors at Crown. Students who obtain a Bachelor’s Degree with an ADC minor can become licensed if they completed the required internship and pass their licensing exam.

    ADC Major The Crown Alcohol and Drug Counseling major can be combined with other degrees in order to obtain a double major. Examples of majors that can be paired with the major in Alcohol and Drug Counseling include:

    • Psychology/Counseling
    • Criminal Justice
    • Christian Ministry
    • Biblical Studies

    These double majors allow students to have a specialized program that fits their career goals. Accelerated Master’s Degree Program In addition, students can obtain the B.S. in Alcohol and Drug Counseling and then go on to pursue Crown’s MA in Counseling. This will allow students to receive additional training in counseling and complete two internship requirements in one sitting.


    An Affordable Online College Education Earning your degree online makes sense. It’s convenient and provides an invaluable advantage to your future success. At Crown College, it’s also affordable. Crown is one of the 10 most affordable Christian colleges in the Midwest. With 98 percent of our students receiving some form of financial aid, we will work with you to figure out the best financial aid package available. Financial aid funding is made available by the federal and state governments. Crown College’s School of Online Studies and Graduate School programs participate in the Federal Pell Grant, Minnesota State Grant and Federal Direct Stafford Loans to help finance your education. Most financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. The first step is to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is the government form used to help assess a family’s financial strength.

    Crown’s school code for FAFSA is: 002383. Students must apply for financial aid each year to be considered for funding.

    Online (SOS) Tuition

    Online Undergraduate 2020-2021 Costs

    Tuition Per Credit $395*
    Application Fee $25
    Technology Fee $140 per semester

    *$475 per credit if not full-time (under 12 credits per semester)

    Check Course Catalog for any additional fees related to your specific program.


    An internship is not required to get an ADC minor, however it is a requirement of the state of MN in order to obtain licensure as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. Therefore, Crown College assists students in finding an internship site that will prepare them to enter the chemical health field. Internships provide students with experiential learning in order to develop skills and receive training from professionals in the field. Internships also offer great networking opportunities. Though there is no guarantee, many students get hired by their internship sites.

    Potential Internship Sites:

    • MN Adult & Teen Challenge
    • Nystrom & Associates
    • New Beginnings
    • Riverplace Counseling Centers
    • Park Avenue Center
    • Progress Valley
    • St. Louis Park Counseling Clinic

    While they must be preapproved by Crown to ensure that they meet licensing board requirements, students often find their own internship sites.


    The career outlook for the Drug and Alcohol Counseling field is very strong with 22% projected growth over the coming years. (Click here for a full labor report.) Crown Graduates with the B.S. Alcohol and Drug Counseling program work in a variety of Christian and secular locations.

    Here are possible places you could work:

    • Christian treatment centers
    • Secular treatment centers
    • Correctional facilities
    • Social Service Agencies
    • Medical Centers
    • Adolescent programs
  • FAQS

    The FAQs provided below address many questions you might have regarding the online Alcohol and Drug Counseling programs. Feel free to contact your enrollment advisor directly for any additional questions you might have.


    How often do I have to be on campus?

    Crown’s MA programs are 100% online and have no requirement for you to travel to campus for any aspect of the program. Although it is a fully online degree program, you will have a dedicated advisor who will provide academic support, guidance and advice throughout the program. You will also have direct access to each of your instructors and will be able to reach them via phone or email. While not required, we do hope you will join us on-site for your graduation! We host several special events for our online students and their families at our main campus in St. Bonifacius, Minnesota the day before graduation. The actual commencement service is held on a Saturday.


    Do I have to meet for class at a specific time?

    Crown’s online classes are asynchronous meaning that there are no set meeting times. Students must meet regular assignment deadlines (usually on Thursday and Sunday night), but they can complete their work at any time during the week that best fits their schedule.


    Can I begin the internship before I complete my major core requirements?

    Yes, you can begin your internship before you complete your major core requirements, however, you must pass each of the following classes before you can begin your internship. Also, keep in mind that it is advisable to start the internship in your senior year since you cannot work in the field until you have graduated.

    • PSY 3010: Introduction to Drug and Alcohol Counseling (3 Credits) OR PSY 410: Psychology of Addiction (3 Credits)
    • PSY 3538: Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy (3 Credits) OR PSY 330: Counseling Psychology (3 Credits)
    • PSY 3012: Psychopharmacology (3 Credits)
    • PSY 3060: Diversity Issues in Counseling (3 Credits)
    • PSY 4010: Assessment and Treatment Planning (3 Credits)
    • PSY 4012: Case Management for Alcohol and Drug Counseling (3 Credits)

    Will financial aid pay for my internship?

    Yes, when students take the ADC Internship courses as part of the bachelor degree requirements financial aid will cover your internship. ADC Majors have these courses built into their program. ADC minors will need to make sure they use their electives to cover these courses. For specific questions, contact Crown College financial aid office at billing@crown.edu.


    What topic areas are covered in ADC classes?

    The ADC minor covers counseling theory, psychology of addiction, psychopharmacology, diversity issues, assessment and treatment planning, and case management.


    Does Crown set up my internship?

    Students are required to set up their own internships. Crown provides a list of agencies that have provided internships in the past. Once students identify potential internship sites, Crown will be happy to work with the student and site supervisors to ensure that the setting will meet the requirements of the internship.


    Can I get licensed in Minnesota without completing internships?

    No. Minnesota Law requires that licensed practitioners complete 880 hours of internship. This internship must be done through an accredited college or university.


    If I am out of state, will I be licensed in my state or in MN after completing the internship?

    While you are welcome to seek licensure in Minnesota it would be most beneficial for out of state students to become licensed in the state in which they reside. You can only be licensed after you complete the specific licensing requirements of a given state. Different states have different requirements. Crown will do all that it can to help students determine if Crown’s program meets their state’s requirements, but it is important that students check their state’s requirements and ensure that their coursework and internship meet state requirements BEFORE they start their internship.


    Do I need liability insurance to participate in the internship?

    Yes, you will need liability insurance for the duration of your internship experience. You can check your placement site to find out where to obtain liability insurance. Insurance can be purchased through http://www.americanprofessional.com/ or www.hpso.com or call 1-866-269-4793 to obtain coverage.


    Do I have to be sober to pursue my internship and licensure for ADC?

    Yes, students must have at least 2 years of sobriety before starting the internship and licensure process. Students must immediately report if they do not meet this state requirement to the Crown Internship Coordinator.


    Can my internship hours count toward my MA of Counseling internship hours?

    Yes, if students plan to pursue the MA of Counseling at Crown they can combine their ADC internship hours with their counseling internship hours to complete two internship requirements at the same time.


    How long does it take to complete the degree?

    A full Bachelor’s degree is 125 credits, which generally takes students at least 4 years to complete. The ADC major core is 48 credits and the ADC minor core is 18 credits. Students who wish to be licensed must take 12 credits of internship.


    How long does it take to complete the ADC Internship?

    To be licensed in Minnesota, students must take 4 three-credit internship courses. Students must complete 880 hours of internship work (roughly 220 per course) to finish the internship. Students can move at their own pace, finishing their internship hours in as little as eight months or as much as two years.


    Will by criminal record prevent me from being licensed?

    Possibly, if you have a criminal history there may be an issue. Students will a criminal history need to be proactive in addressing their criminal history. All students will complete a background check as a part of the initial internship process. Students should notify the Counseling Internship Coordinator about any concerns with their criminal record as well as notify potential sites. If you know you have a criminal history, Crown recommends you contact your state’s licensing board to make sure this history will not prohibit you from getting licensed before you begin the program.