Frequently Asked Questions

Our compilation of frequently asked questions covers anything from the application process to living on campus. We will tell you what you need to know.

Also, don’t forget to visit the campus. When you come for a visit day, you’ll get the chance to ask questions that may arise once you’re in the college environment and what to expect when you get here as a student in the fall.

  • Undergraduate Admissions

    What is a completed application?

    • Fill out the application online or a paper copy
    • Completed Spiritual Life essays
    • Signed Community Covenant
    • Official high school transcript/college transcript for transfer courses
    • Official ACT or SAT Scores (ACT Code: 2152 SAT, Code: 6639)
    • College transcripts are also required from transfer students or students who have taken post-secondary credits while in high school.

    What is your application deadline?

    We have rolling admissions, which means we will take applications any time. However, students must be accepted by the first day of class. PSEO students must be accepted by July 15. Please view the PSEO section to read about specific deadlines.

    What ACT/SAT/CLT score does Crown require? What score does Crown accept if two or more are sent?

    We require a minimum of 18 composite on the ACT and minimum of 940 combined (Math and verbal) on the SAT for standard acceptance. We take the higher score if two or more are sent. The minimum CLT score is 60.

    What is the minimum GPA required for acceptance?

    A minimum 2.0 GPA is required for standard acceptance. Certain majors may require a higher GPA for acceptance into that department.

    What do you look for in an applicant?

    We are looking for students who have a strong academic record, demonstrated by high school GPA and either the ACT or SAT scores. We also look for students who demonstrate a life of faith, character and leadership, as measured by personal essays. We also weigh student involvements, achievements and accomplishments during their high school career.

    How long does the acceptance decision take?

    Once we have received all the pieces of your completed application file, it goes through a review process that can take up to two weeks.

    Is there an application fee? Can it be waived?

    There is no application fee if you apply before January 1 of your senior year. After that, the fee will be waived if you visit the campus.

    When/how do I visit campus?

    We would love to welcome you to campus. Check out what events we have planned on our event page. Otherwise, fill out the visit form and visit during your junior year/fall of your senior year. We look forward to you visiting!

    Is there a room deposit required? How much is it? Is it refundable?

    Yes. Students are required to pay an admissions deposit of $150 upon their decision to attend Crown. This deposit is applied to their account. If the student decides not to attend Crown, it is refundable if requested in writing by May 1 of the same year.

    What high school classes does Crown require for acceptance?

    We do not require specific classes. However, we strongly recommend four years of English and three years of social studies and math.

    Can I attend a class and meet the professor or a coach?

    Yes, you can! Click here to sign up for a visit. Click the appropriate box and indicate in your “Additional Notes” box if you have any other information.

    What are the admission requirements for a transfer student?

    The online or paper application, Spiritual Life essays, Community Covenant, official high school transcript and college transcripts. ACT or SAT scores are also needed if you are transferring fewer than 16 credits within two years of high school graduation.

    Is an interview required?

    No. The Spiritual Life essays meet the requirements of an interview.

    Will Crown honor a home study program or diploma?

    Yes. We will need an official transcript and a cumulative GPA. Also, the transcript should include a graduation date and signature of the primary educator. Please contact your counselor to determine the best way to submit a home school transcript.

    Will Crown accept a GED?

    Yes. Please have the institution that administered your test send us your official scores.

    How can I appeal the admissions decision?

    Students desiring to appeal an admissions decision may direct an appeal, in writing, to the director of admissions. The appeal will be reviewed by the admissions council and the council’s decision shall be final. The appeal must be submitted prior to the first day of class for the student’s first semester.

  • Online Studies & Graduate School

    When are classes offered?

    All online degree program classes and graduate program classes are offered completely online, one course at a time. You may log on whenever you choose to complete your courses throughout the week. Each course is between 7-14 weeks in duration. This allows you to quickly earn your degree.

    What credits can I transfer in?

    Undergraduate college credits, obtained from a regionally or nationally accredited institution, can potentially transfer, if a “C” or higher was earned. Graduate credits, from a regionally accredited college, can potentially transfer with a grade of “B” or higher, if taken within the last 10 years. Students must take at least 24-30 credits at Crown to obtain a degree from the institution. Our enrollment staff would be glad to look at your transcripts and give you a tentative evaluation and timeframe to complete your degree.

    How long will it take to get a degree?

    With no previous college experience, an associate’s degree takes three years to complete and a bachelor’s degree would take two additional years to complete. Any transfer credits can greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to earn your degree. For instance, if you have already earned an associate’s degree, or an equivalent number of credits from various colleges, it will likely take only two years to complete your bachelor’s degree. Graduate degrees are designed to take approximately two years to complete. We do accept transfer credits into the graduate programs.

    How much study time is involved?

    The general guide, for every enrolled credit hour, is 1-2 hours of homework. A survey was conducted of our 600 adult students and the average time spent studying is eight hours per week.

    What things do I need to do to get accepted?

    For the complete list of required items, visit our Steps to Enroll page. You may also contact the Crown School of Online Studies and Graduate School office for program specific requirements at 952-446-4300 or 1-800-910-GRAD (4723).

    When can I start?

    Prior to the start of your first course, you will be required to complete a self-paced online orientation. For your convenience, we also offer periodic live interactive online orientations.

    When do I pay for class?

    Payment is required by the first day of the semester. Students have the option to pay their bill in full or set up a payment plan with the Student Billing Office. This payment plan divides your bill into three equal payments that are due the first three months of the semester. Accepted payment includes credit card, cash and/or financial aid. You can either pay online or at orientation.

  • Financial Aid

    What is Crown’s Title IV School Code?


    What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans?

    A subsidized loan is based on financial need. The federal government will pay the interest on a subsidized loan through your enrollment period in school and through the grace period. An unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need. You must either pay the interest monthly/quarterly, or have the interest capitalized (added to the principal loan amount). Repayment of the interest and principal begins six months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment.

    Should I be paying my interest on an unsubsidized student loan while in school?

    If you can pay the interest while in school, you will repay less in the long run. If you choose to capitalize the interest (having the interest added to the principal amount of the loan), you will increase the total amount you must pay back after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment.

    Do I have to borrow the entire amount of loan on my Award Letter?

    No, borrow only what you need to meet your educational costs.

    What if I borrow the loan and later on find out I don’t need the loan?

    You can repay your loan to your lender at any time, without penalty. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you want to cancel all or part of the loan during the school year.

    If I do not want to borrow an educational loan at this time, is there another option for financing my college costs?

    Yes, you may want to consider Tuition Management Systems. For more information about this payment plan, go to www.afford.com/crown or call the Crown Student Billing Office at 952-446-4126.

    What is the cost of tuition at Crown?

    Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for current semester and annual cost breakdowns.

    What is the cost of room and board?

    Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for current semester and annual room fees and meal plan fees. Note that all freshmen must be on the full meal plan. Upperclassmen can choose from several different plans.

    Is there financial aid available?

    Financial aid is available to all students. More than 98 percent of students receive some form of financial assistance. The financial aid package will include federal and state grants, Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan and institutional aid. View the financial aid web page for more information.

    How much should I plan on spending on books for a semester?

    This will depend on your class load, but Crown students spend approximately $500 per semester. Visit bookstore.crown.edu.

    What is the FAFSA?

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an application to determine eligibility for state and federal aid. Crown recommends that all students complete the FAFSA as part of the financial aid process.

    What is the Financial Aid Process?

    You can find the steps to this process on our Financial Aid page.

    What scholarships are available?

    There are many scholarships available at Crown. The Academic Scholarship is based on your ACT/SAT score and GPA. The Academic Scholarship is renewable for up to four years. The student must maintain the required GPA to renew at the same level. View our scholarship page for more scholarship opportunities.

    Is there a deadline for applying for financial aid?

    There is a priority deadline of April 15. FAFSAs received after this date will be considered for aid based on the availability of funds. All aid application materials should be received by July 30. Students can submit financial aid application materials after July 30, but the Financial Aid Office cannot guarantee that the applications will be reviewed and processed before the fall bill is due.

    Are there jobs available on campus?

    Yes, we have jobs available for students in different departments. Visit the Student Work Program page to see what jobs are currently available.

  • Campus Life

    In what athletic associations, divisions and conferences does Crown participate?

    Crown College is a member of NCAA Division III and competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC). For updated sports information, visit our Crown College Athletics website.

    Do all students have to live on-campus?

    All full-time students are required to live on campus until they are 22 years old or are living with parents. Part-time students may live off campus.

    May freshmen have cars on campus?

    Yes, they can. A nominal parking fee per semester is required.

    What intramural sports are available?

    Volleyball, basketball, broomball, disc golf and Disc Golf.

    What student leadership opportunities are available?

    Opportunities include: Student Activity Board (SAB), RA (Resident Assistant), FX (Freshmen Experience), Student Senate, Worship Leader/Team, Prayer Ministry Team, GIT (Global Impact Team), Mission Leaders, Community Outreach and Evangelism (CORE), Welcome Weekend Committee/team, SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee).

    Can I visit campus and stay overnight? Do you have special visit days?

    Yes, please schedule a visit with us! We do have special visit days, as well as personal visits.

    Where can I park?

    When you arrive on campus, you may park in the main parking lot. Enter through the main doors and you will be greeted by the receptionist.

    Are students required to purchase a meal plan?

    All undergraduate students residing on campus are required to participate in one of the four food service meal plans. Please visit our Food Services Plans and Guidelines page for complete details.

    What music groups are on campus?

    Choir, Chamber Choir, Women’s Choir, worship teams, ministry teams and instrumental ensembles.

    Does Crown sponsor a drama or theater club?

    Yes. Encore! is a musical theater ministry that reaches out to the community through the visual arts, drama, comedy, music and dance. Crown also has opportunities for students in one-act plays, as well as musicals.

    Can Crown help me with my career aspirations?

    We have a Career Services Office that provides assistance and programs to students. You can find help for general career guidance, choosing a major, resume and cover letter advice, internship and job searching, interview preparation, professional networking and branding, applying to graduate school and more. Visit our Career Services Office website to access our regularly updated online internship and job posting site.

    What are the on-campus housing options?

    On-campus housing options are available for Men and Women. Campus Community provides an overview about each option.

    May students have private rooms?

    Yes, availability is limited and the cost will vary. Students with health needs will receive priority.

    Do the residence halls have laundry facilities?

    Each hall has its own washer and dryer. Students may purchase and load money on a laundry card. The laundry card is used like a debit card.

    Is there a curfew?

    Crown does not enforce a curfew, but our buildings are locked at 7:30 p.m. and open at 7:30 a.m. during the week. On Saturday, our main door is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Our building is locked during other hours. Students are able to get into the building with their ID cards after hours.

    What varsity sports are offered?

    – Men’s: Soccer, Football, Cross Country, Basketball, Baseball, Golf and Track & Field
    – Women’s: Soccer, Volleyball, Cross Country, Basketball, Softball and Track & Field

    What denomination are you affiliated with?

    Christian and Missionary Alliance. Our students come from a wide variety of denominational backgrounds.

    What sort of ministries and outreach programs are available to students?

    Crown students are involved in many ministries around the Twin Cities. Each student is required to earn four credits of Christian Service. Students have the freedom to choose how they will serve. One of the credits must be within Christian ministry. Some organizations that students have selected in the past include: local youth groups and churches, mission trips, Feed My Starving Children, Billy Graham Tele Counseling Center, Marie Sandvick Center and C.O.R.E (Crown-based Community Outreach and Evangelism).

  • Housing

    Who lives in college housing?

    All full-time students younger than 22, who do not live at home with their parents, live in college housing. Students older than 22 often continue to live on campus, but also have the option for off-campus housing.

    How do I apply for housing?

    After you have been accepted to Crown, you can apply for housing. A housing application will be mailed to you or you can download the housing application online.

    When should I submit my housing application?

    As soon as you receive your acceptance letter and pay your deposit, you will have access to the online Housing Application located on Our.Crown.Edu . Notification of room assignments and roommates are sent out June and July.

    Which buildings are available for me as a new student?

    Richardson and Strohm Halls are available for first-year female students. Main Hall is available for male students. Transfers may live in any residence hall. We try to place transfer students in similar class level housing.

    How are new students assigned to housing?

    Part of the housing application includes a section on living condition preferences (e.g., time going to bed, type of music, hobbies), which is used to match students.

    Will my assigned room or roommates change before I arrive?

    It is sometimes necessary to make changes to your initial assignment due primarily to people canceling. We will notify you of changes as time permits.

    What if I know the person I want for a roommate?

    If you want to room with someone specific, both people must request each other on the housing application. However, housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis; so, if you wish to room with someone, then housing applications and deposits should be sent in simultaneously for both students as soon as possible to honor roommate preferences.

    When can I move in?

    You will receive orientation packets in the mail about two months before the beginning of the semester. Please look through your packets for the dates and times of move-in. If you are involved with an athletic team, music group or other activity that requires early arrival, you will receive information about your arrival date from your coach, director or the coordinator of the activity with which you are involved.

    What is an RD?

    Resident Directors (RDs) are professionally educated adults who live in the residence halls and provide services for leadership training, counseling, administration and participation in the personal development of students. They are available to students for friendship, counsel and help in all areas of college life.

    What is an RA?

    Resident Assistants (RAs) are upper-class students that serve as a resource and source of information for students. RAs are chosen based on their desire to serve others and God, as well as their abilities and leadership skills. RAs are trained to assist in establishing community, resolving conflicts and maintaining community standards.

    Who should my parents contact in case of an emergency?

    During weekday office hours, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., parents should contact the Student Development office at 952-446-4162. Any other time, parents should contact campus security at 952-446-5100.

    Are the bed sizes twin or XL twin?

    Crown has extra-long twin-sized beds.

    How will my living area be cleaned?

    Common areas, laundry rooms and hall kitchens are cleaned by facility services. If you are assigned to a suite-style room or to an apartment, it is the responsibility of you, your roommate(s) and/or your suitemates to clean the bathrooms and shared living spaces.

    What phone/data access is available in the living areas?

    Residence halls are equipped with high-speed wireless access to the campus network. Wireless connections are located throughout the academic building. Each residence hall is equipped with at least one phone jack per floor that provides local calling access.

    What kinds of appliances can I have?

    Each residence hall has a vacuum cleaner available for you to use. A full-size kitchen is also located in most residence halls for student usage. You may bring a micro-refrigerator (no larger than 4.3 cu/ft.), in addition to small appliances with completely enclosed coils for use in residence hall rooms (e.g., popcorn poppers, hot pots, coffee makers, etc.). Large appliances or those with exposed coils may not be stored in rooms (e.g., hot plates, toasters, space heaters, air conditioners). Due to fire safety regulations, no halogen lamps are permitted.

    What are the laundry facilities like?

    Washing machines and dryers are located in each residence hall for your convenience. A laundry card may be purchased from the vending machine located by the Mail Center. Additional monetary sums may be added to an individual’s card online or at the vending machine.

    Can I burn candles in my room?

    Because of serious fire danger, open flames (including burning candles, incense, lighted potpourri, etc.) are not permitted. Therefore, we ask that you leave candles and incense items at home.

    Where can I store my bike?

    Bike racks are located outside of every residence and the academic building. During the winter months, there is no indoor bike storage available.

    May I bring my pet to school?

    Aquatic species that live underwater may be kept in your room. Because of health sanitation and safety, animals (including cats, dogs, rodents, reptiles and amphibians) may not be kept in your room.

    What is Crown College’s food plan?

    15 Meal Plan Required for Freshmen. All classes eligible. 15 weekly meals in Crown Dining Center; Two weekly meal exchange in the Café; $175 FLEX $1,885/semester
    10 Meal Plan Sophomores-Juniors-Seniors 10 weekly meals in Crown Dining Center; Two weekly meal exchange in the Café; $300 FLEX $1,885/semester
    7 Meal Plan Sophomores-Juniors-Seniors 7 weekly meals in Crown Dining Center; Two weekly meal exchange in the Café; $175 FLEX $1,675/semester
    Block Plan Seniors ONLY 75 meals during semester in Crown Dining Center; NO FLEX, NO MEAL EXCHANGES $1100/semester

    General Program Information
    All undergraduate students residing on campus are required to participate in one of the four food service meal plans. College freshman are required to participate in the 15-meal plan; there are 19 possible meal choices in an academic week without breaks. Meal plan exceptions may be granted for a dietary related allergy illness that has been diagnosed by a practicing MEDICAL DOCTOR and that cannot be reasonably accommodated by the food service provider. Dining service hours are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. weekdays. Weekends are limited hours with brunch and dinner served. Hours are posted at the dining service entrance. Students not on a meal plan may have money deposited into their account by contacting Food Services or stopping by the Coffee Shoppe during open hours.

    Meal Plan Policy Highlights:

    • Flex Dollars do carry over from semester to semester (with a maximum carryover of $150), but do not carry over year-to-year.
    • Students are charged for a full meal each time they enter the Dining Hall.
    • Students MUST present a valid College ID card/meal card at all registers.
    • Student ID cards and meal plans may not be shared.
    • Students who utilize their weekly meal allowance may use FLEX dollars to purchase additional meals.
    • Food service is provided during fall and winter breaks, but not during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring, Easter or Summer breaks.

    Is there a snack shop on campus?

    The Coffee Shoppe, located in the Student Center, serves a variety of hot and cold coffee drinks, as well as Italian sodas, hot chocolate and assorted teas. The Storm Café features soups, pizzas, subs, wraps, burgers and appetizers, as well as fresh grab-and-go selections. The Coffee Shoppe and the Storm Café accept dining balance dollars, cash, checks and most major credit cards.

    Where will I receive mail and what address should I use?

    Mail is delivered to the main building where each student is assigned a mailbox. The following mailing address should be used:
    Jane Doe
    Campus Box (box # assigned during registration)
    8700 College View Drive
    St. Bonifacius, MN 55375

  • Information Technology (IT)

    Bringing a Computer

    Below are some recommendations to consider when choosing a computer to bring to campus:

    • The Information Technology department will provide limited telephone-based technical support to students with personal computers in the residence halls. However, support can only be offered if the computer meets the minimum specifications listed below. We may be able to provide support for operating systems other than those listed, but the department officially supports only those listed.
    • Students are responsible to provide a network cable to connect their computer to the network port in their residence hall. These cables are available from many local stores, in addition to being sold in the Crown College bookstore. Our wireless network does extend to cover residence halls, so a wired connection is not required.
    • In a large residential network, antivirus software is now a necessity. Viruses can spread quickly between computers in the residential network. All students will be required to own and maintain a working antivirus program on their computers.
    • Minimum specifications: The minimum requirements for your computer operating system are Windows 7 or newer for PCs, or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or newer for Apple computers.
    • If you have an older operating system and are considering upgrading:
      • Crown College does not provide assistance upgrading personal computers. If you do not have the ability to upgrade, we recommend seeking assistance from a trusted friend, or to purchase the upgrade service in a retail setting.
      • For Windows, Microsoft provides tools to check if your system is compatible with the newer versions. (Windows 7, Windows 8)
    • If you decide to upgrade, you can find Microsoft Windows software for Crown students at a discounted price at www.crown.edu/msoffice.
    • We recommend using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to access Crown’s web services.
    • You will need Microsoft Office 2010 or newer for Windows computers, or 2011 or newer for Apple computers. Microsoft Office software is available for Crown students at a discounted price at www.crown.edu/msoffice.

    Email Accounts

    Every student at Crown is given an email account. The username and password is issued to each student when they register for courses. The email address for each student is structured as follows:

    [last name][first initial][middle initial][entrance year]@students.crown.edu

    Example: If a given student’s name is George John Doe and their entrance year is 2010, then the email address would be doegj10@students.crown.edu.

    Software Provided by Crown

    Crown College licenses a number of software applications for use by our students. Some are available only while a current student, others are licensed in such a way that after graduating from Crown College, the license becomes perpetual and the student is allowed to retain the program indefinitely.

    • Microsoft Office Professional: The full version of Microsoft Office Professional is licensed for student use. Both the PC and Mac editions are covered by this license. Students are allowed to install one copy of the program on their own computer. If a student is leasing a laptop from the Technology Services department, that laptop will be pre-installed with the most recent version of Microsoft Office Professional. This application suite includes Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher (depending on the version of the suite).
    • Upon graduation, Microsoft grants us permission to print a perpetual license agreement for graduates of Crown College, giving permission to continue using the software after leaving the College.

    Internet Access

    Crown provides high-speed access to the Internet. The Internet is available from any part of the Crown College network — from dorms, labs, classrooms and offices, as well as over the wireless network where it is available. Because a large community must share this connection, some restrictions must be instated to maintain the usefulness of the connection:

    • Peer-to-peer (P2P) networking is strongly discouraged. The downloading of copyrighted materials (such as music and movies) without permission is theft and Crown College does not condone or accept such activities. Peer-to-peer networking also tends to severely tax the networks it runs over. To prevent problems, the IT department regulates the types of traffic that travels through our Internet link and peer-to-peer network traffic is severely limited.
    • Crown College utilizes a product to monitor and filter access to pornographic and adult-content sites. The pornography industry is thriving in the new Internet economy. Often, adult sites are disguised to trap Internet users who inadvertently click on a seemingly innocuous link or mistype a URL. The filtering product protects our community from these adult-industry tricks. Crown College recognizes that pornography can also be a dangerous trap. The filter provides a measure of accountability, as well, by logging Internet activity.
    • Streaming audio and video can be very bandwidth intensive. We ask that students be courteous and mindful of the fact that the Crown College Internet connection is a shared resource and therefore to make responsible use of these technologies.

    Wireless Network

    Our campus-wide wireless network now covers the main building and all residence halls. Personal wireless routers are prohibited, as they interfere with the college’s system. The wireless network is comprised of a large quantity of 802.11g wireless access points arranged around the campus. Any computer equipped with a wireless network card capable of communicating using the 802.11b or 802.11g standards (including 802.11n devices, which function on the 802.11g system) will be able to connect to the wireless network.

    Public Access Printers

    A number of printers are available for student use on campus. The computer labs are equipped with high-capacity, black-and-white networked laser printer for student use at a very low cost. The 3rd floor lab printer is also capable of doing high quality color prints. See the printing policy for more information.

    Network File Storage

    Crown maintains a file server for student use. This server is accessible from anywhere on campus. Each student is granted 100MB of storage on the server. Use of this network drive is strongly recommended as it allows for easy access to documents and information from virtually anywhere on campus. Data on the student server is also backed up nightly, preventing accidental loss of information.

    Help Desk

    Current students, staff or faculty with technology issues can contact the Help Desk at helpdesk@crown.edu or login to the my.crown.edu portal to access the Information Technology webpages.

  • Academics

    Are there tutoring services available on campus?

    Yes, our Study Lab offers tutors in all areas of study, including assistance with grammar and other special services.

    What is the average class size at Crown?

    The average class size is approximately 20 students.

    Are there any special services to assist students with learning disabilities?

    Academic and physical accommodation services are provided to students with disabilities. The services may include the following: advocacy/mediation; notes; test proctoring; tape recorders; audio technology; tutoring; wheelchair access; accountability. All students must have required documentation.

    What are the majors offered?

    Crown College offers more than 30 different majors. For our current list of on-campus degree programs, visit our On-Campus Degree Programs page or the Course Catalog.

    What courses do freshmen usually take?

    You will have an adviser who assists you in course selection. Most first-year freshmen take:

    • Old Testament History
    • New Testament History
    • World Civilization
    • English Composition
    • Writing and Literature
    • Speech
    • History Elective
    • Math elective
    • Physical Education elective
    • Science Elective

    How do I register for classes?

    We will have various registrations dates in June, July and August at Crown. If you cannot register over the summer, you will have the opportunity to register during orientation the week before classes start. Academic advisors will help you put together a course schedule and academic plan.

    What does it mean to be a full-time student?

    A full-time student takes at least 12 credits per semester. If you drop a course, withdraw from a course, or do not pass a course, and you fall below 12 credits during a semester, you are not considered a full time student during that semester. Athletes must have 12 credits to be eligible for varsity athletic participation.

    When do I need to declare a major?

    By the end of your sophomore year. Talk with our career services director to help you assess your strengths and what major would be a good fit.

    What courses will transfer from other institutions?

    You must submit an official transcript to the Admissions Office and once accepted, you will receive a program audit. Classes from an accredited institution with a grade of a “C” or higher will most likely transfer.

    Is Crown accredited?

    Crown is fully accredited by the High Learning Commission (HLC) and the Collegiate Commission on Nursing Education (CCNE).

    What study-abroad options are there?

    Many of our students study abroad through different programs. Please visit our study abroad page to see the various programs offered.

    What are the differences between a private and public education?

    At Crown, you will have a more personal approach and emphasis on your individual growth and development. Professors and staff want to prepare students to be competent and Christian leaders in the marketplace.

    What’s the faculty to student ratio?

    14:1. For every 14 students, there is one professor.

    Do you offer an honors program?

    Yes. The following are entrance requirements to Crown’s honors program:

    • Top 15 percent of high school class.
    • Grade point average of at least a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
    • Composite ACT or SAT score in the 85th percentile or above.
    • Demonstration of dependable service in a local church.
    • You must also complete the online application.
    • Honors courses include: Critical Thinking and Writing; Writing and Literature; Math and Science; History of Modern Western Thought; Christian Ethics; and Twentieth Century Christian Thinkers. Two honors contract courses are also required in the student’s major field of study.

    Can I be an Honors Student regardless of my major?

    Yes. The Honors Program is compatible with all majors.

    Is the faculty available outside of classroom hours?

    All faculty have office hours available for students. An open door policy is encouraged as well. Many of the students will be invited into the homes of faculty members.

    Will I have time to participate in other campus activities and clubs while enrolled in the Honors Program?

    Yes. Most Honors students participate in activities ranging from athletic teams to music performance to Student Senate. Honors students often hold part-time jobs on or off campus.

    Does the Honors Program require me to take extra credits in order to graduate?

    No. Students enrolled in the program take advanced general education courses that replace and satisfy standard general education requirements, as well as complete special Honors projects within their major field of study.

    Why should I be in the Honors Program?

    Joining and maintaining membership in the Honors Program provides students with an advanced academic education, an intellectual challenge and life-changing opportunities for growth and success.

  • Nursing Department/BSN-Prelicensure

    Does the Nursing Department require students to purchase a laptop?

    All nursing students are required to own a laptop/notebook computer, effective August 1, 2008. Students should contact Financial Aid to discuss this cost being a part of their financial aid package at Crown. Due to the need for computers in the classroom, a desktop computer is not sufficient for on-campus students. The following are minimum specifications for the laptop:

    • Less than 4-years old at the time of admission to Crown College
    • DVD-ROM
    • Wireless card
    • Sound card
    • Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 (may purchase from Crown at student rate; all files must be in MS2003)
    • Windows XP or newer
    • Macintosh/Apple (OS X/10.2 or higher) is allowed but students must be able to read/write Windows-ready documents or files.
    • 256 MB of RAM
    • Processor 800 MHz or better
    • 40 GB of disc space

    The Crown College help desk is able to help the student troubleshoot many issues, however, students are solely responsible for any costs that arise from technical difficulties with their personal equipment.

    Are students required to have high-speed internet at home?

    No. However, most students do not tend to spend long hours working in the campus computer lab. Dial-up will work for most things, but students spend a lot of time online in the nursing program.

    Can I play sports or do other extracurricular activities and be in the nursing program?

    Maybe. The nursing program is very difficult and demanding from a content and time perspective. The other issue is that students will not be excused from clinical or lab activities for extracurricular activities or events. These experiences are too resource intensive to adjust and must be a priority.

    Do I need my own car for the Nursing Program?

    Yes. You are responsible for providing your own transportation to all learning activities/classes.

    Can I complete the nursing program totally online?

    No. The student who is not previously licensed as an RN (e.g., a BSN-C student) will need to meet in the regular semesters. However, there are some classes that the BSN-P student will take that are completely online.

    Are the online courses easier?

    No. Many students will say they are more difficult because they require an added level of accountability and creativity.

    What is the minimum GPA to get into the program?

    2.5. Having this GPA does not guarantee acceptance to the program. For current admission criteria and admission process, see the most current edition of the Nursing Department Student Handbook.

    How much are books and fees in the Nursing Department?

    That depends on the level (class) of the student. The following are estimates, subject to change at any time:


    • Lab fee: $200 – paid with tuition bill
    • Lab kit: $100 – purchased from and paid to the Crown College Bookstore
    • Books: $500 – must be purchased from Crown College Bookstore due to technology and specialty packages.

    Junior (includes all Junior Nursing classes in the Plan of Study for both semesters)

    • Nursing Clinical Fee: $462 per clinical – paid with tuition bill (Junior level which require clinicals)
    • Stethoscope: $50 – purchased on your own, your choice.
    • Uniforms (2 sets of scrubs and 1 lab coat w/ Crown logo required): $70, purchased from and paid to Crown Nursing’s online uniform supplier.
    • Books: $700 or more – purchased from and paid to Crown College Bookstore

    Senior (includes all Senior Nursing class in the Plan of Study for both semesters)

    • Nursing Clinical Fee: $462 per clinical – paid with tuition bill. (Senior level which require clinicals)
    • Uniforms (2 sets of scrubs and 1 lab coat w/ Crown logo required): $70 (if new ones are needed)
    • Books: $500 or more – purchased from and paid to Crown College Bookstore
    • Graduation Fee: $150 – paid to cashier’s office
  • International Students

    How do I know if I am an international student?

    Students are considered international applicants if they are non-U.S. citizens and do not have a U.S. Permanent Resident visa. A student who has dual citizenship in the U.S. and another country must apply as a U.S. citizen.

    Do I have to be a Christian to apply to Crown College?

    Yes. The mission of Crown College is to provide a biblically-based education for Christian leadership in the Christian and Missionary Alliance, the Church-at-large and the world. Crown College graduates are uniquely prepared for professional excellence and Christian leadership. Crown hires faculty and staff, and admits students, who affirm this mission, our statement of faith and our community covenant.

    How do I apply to Crown College?

    International students interested in applying to Crown College should visit our International – Steps to Enroll page.

    When should I apply to Crown College?

    As an international student, you should begin the application process as early as possible. You will be working with the college, as well as financial institutions, your country’s embassy, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and the U.S. Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services. International application is a lengthy process; therefore, we strongly encourage international students to apply now. Deadlines for all required documents are as follows:

    • June 15, 2015 – for Fall Semester 2015 (August 2015 arrival)
    • November 15, 2015 – for Spring Semester 2016 (January 2016 arrival)
    • June 15, 2016 – for Fall Semester 2016 (August 2016 arrival)
    • November 15, 2016 – for Spring Semester 2017 (January 2017 arrival)

    What kind of financial assistance does Crown College offer to international students?

    International students are responsible for funding their Crown education. Funds for a full year must be documented before an I-20 allowing entrance into the United States will be issued. A certified bank letter or statement from the student’s family or sponsor must be provided before an I-20 document can be issued. This bank letter should verify an amount equal to or exceeding $19,900 USD. To assist international students in financing their education, Crown College provides an International Student Grant in the amount of $4,000 USD per year. Students are also eligible for additional scholarships and grants.

    Although federal law prohibits international students from working off campus, Crown College offers international students the opportunity to earn up to $2,000 USD per year for on-campus employment to assist in the cost of attendance. If work is available, international students may work up to 15-hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during breaks and throughout the summer. All students are responsible for securing their own work position on campus and are paid directly by check. Crown cannot guarantee on-campus employment for international students.

    What financial documentation does Crown College require for international students?

    United States immigration laws require us to verify the ability of international students to pay all tuition and living expenses for the time they are studying in the US. Financial verification must be made prior to institutional issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019). Information on this verification can be found on the Application for International Undergraduate Admission. Visit the Steps to Enroll page for more details.

    How do I submit my secondary school transcripts?

    Ask your secondary school office to post or email your official, certified transcript to Crown College. This can be done by post to the Crown mailing address or by email if scanned and sent directly from your secondary school office to Brad Nelson at nelsonb@crown.edu. Crown may require you to have your transcripts evaluated. If so, you would submit your transcript(s) to EEI (Education Evaluators International, Inc.) for evaluation. To obtain an EEI evaluation application, contact the Crown College Admissions Office. A $200 fee must accompany the EEI application.

    Does Crown have an English proficiency requirement for international students?

    Yes. If English is your primary language, you should take the ACT or the SAT exam. If English is not your primary language, you must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or one of the alternatives listed below. You must pass the TOEFL paper exam with a minimum score of 500 or the Internet-based exam with a minimum score of 61. You may receive information regarding when and where to take this test by visiting the TOEFL. You may take the ACT examination (must score above 18), the SAT examination (must score above 940) or the IELTS examination (must score above 5.0). The TOEFL or IELTS examinations are required if English was not the primary language in your secondary school.

    If I have questions, who should I contact in the Admissions Office?

    International students who have questions about admission to Crown may contact Brad Nelson at nelsonb@crown.edu.

    How does Crown College help international students adjust to life in the United States?

    In preparation for your arrival at Crown College, the International Admissions Office will provide you with information, as well as answer any questions you might have. In addition, Crown College has a designated international/overseas orientation specifically designed to help students adjust to living and studying in the United States. In addition, the Student Development Department at Crown College sponsors Mu Kappa. Mu Kappa is an organization comprised of international and overseas students. These students gather regularly for social events, such as progressive dinners, movie nights, study sessions, outings, Bible study and various events. You will find our faculty, staff and fellow students to be very welcoming. Most of our staff has served and lived overseas and understands the transition you will experience.

  • Destination: Serve Trips (DS)

    What expenses are covered by trip costs?

    • Training and support-raising costs
    • Visa cost (if applicable)
    • Mission Agency fees (if applicable)
    • Team leadership
    • Travel insurance
    • Housing and meals on-site
    • Ground and air travel costs

    For what expenses am I responsible to pay?

    • Passport (including photos and application fees)
    • Immunizations and vaccinations (if your physician so advises)
    • Spending and offering money, souvenirs and snacks

    Do I have to pay a deposit?

    A deposit of $50 is required for all trips. This fee will be used toward trip expenses, but is non-refundable if you do not end up going on the trip.

    What are my support-raising responsibilities?

    After a student deposit is paid, a student is responsible for prayerfully sending out at least 25 support letters. Each team member is expected to participate fully in all team fundraisers.

    Am I required to do support-raising? (Answered in previous questions and answer.)

    Yes. Each student is required to send out support letters and to participate in all team fundraisers your team may plan. A student is expected to seek financial and prayer support from their sphere of influence (church, family and friends).

    Where can I make donations towards my trip?

    Donations can be made directly to the billing office or go online to the main Crown page. Click on the donation link and then click “Pay as Guest.” The website allows donors to designate funds to specific individuals/trips.

    How should my donations be submitted?

    All checks should be made payable to Crown College. All contributions must be accompanied with a tax deduction form with the student’s name on the card. This includes cash donations. For your protection, you should not have donors give directly to you or make checks payable to you. Your name should not be on the donation checks.

    How do I know how much I have raised?

    You will receive email updates on a regular basis, along with the names of your donors so you can send a thank you note and a prayer reminder before your departure.

    Is there a deadline for support-raising?

    Yes, here are the deadlines:

    • December 9 – $50 deposit and support letters due
    • February 9 – 40 percent of funds raised
    • March 9 – 70 percent of funds raised
    • April 15 – 100 percent of funds raised

    Are my donations refundable?

    No.  By law, all gifts and contributions (whether given personally or from churches, family, and friends) are non-refundable.

  • Military Veterans

    Is Crown College a Yellow Ribbon School?

    Yes, we are a Yellow Ribbon school and funds are available for those whose tuition costs excede the VA private school cap. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for details.

    Does Crown College accept military training for credit?

    Yes! Please click on the appropriate link to request your official military transcript to be sent to Crown:

    How can I determine my eligibility for military tuition benefits?

    Your eligibility is determined by the VA. You may apply online by going to the VA website at gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application or contact the VA by phone at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    Do you have a scholarship or tuition discount?

    Yes! Enrolled Servicemembers can apply for our needs-based scholarship. Your application will be reviewed by our scholarship committee who will determine your eligibility.

    How can I start receiving my GI/VA benefits?

    To begin utilizing your benefits, you will need to complete the necessary VA paperwork prior to enrollment. You will find the applicable benefit listed by clicking on the appropriate link:
    Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill
    Yellow Ribbon Program
    Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
    Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve
    Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
    Chapter 35 (DEAP) Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
    Tuition Assistance
    MN GI Bill

    Who can I contact if I have further questions?

    For enrollment questions, please contact the advisor assigned to your program:
    On-Campus Degree Programs
    Online Undergraduate Degree Programs
    Online Graduate Degree Programs