The Choral Academy of Crown College is an accredited, comprehensive vocal/choral music opportunity for high school students in grades 9-12. It combines weekly online instruction with monthly choral rehearsals on campus at Crown College, located just west of Minneapolis.
The Choral Academy is designed primarily (but not exclusively) for homeschool students, and will be open to all students in grade 9-12 in the spring semester of 2014. Juniors and seniors from Minnesota enrolled in the program can receive PSEO credit, which means there is no cost! For out-of-state students or those in grades 9 and 10, the cost is $300 per semester.
Classes begin in January, 2014 and students must apply/audition by October 31. Enrollment is limited to 40 students. Interested students should refer to the "Steps To Enroll" section below.
Enrollment in The Choral Academy of Crown College means students will...
- Participate in the only online choral instruction program available in Minnesota
- Receive PSEO credit (3 credits)
- Learn healthy vocal technique
- Increase their confidence as a singer/soloist
- Improve their musical literacy skills
- Experience music from a variety of cultures and historical periods
- Be mentored by Crown students majoring in Music and Music Education
- Become part of an environment that nurtures creativity, teamwork, and a passion for singing
The Choral Academy student experience includes...
- Weekly Smart Music© assignments
- Weekly music theory lessons
- Weekly "virtual classroom" sessions with the instructor
- A monthly 3-4 hour rehearsal session on campus at Crown College
- On-campus sessions will be on Mondays from 4:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Students will likely have five on-campus sessions during the spring semester
- Exact dates for on-campus sessions TBA
- A live concert performance at the end of each semester
About the Instructor
Al Hawkins (Mr. H) has been involved in music as a performer, conductor, and teacher for over 30 years. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in instrumental and vocal music education from Gustavus Adolphus College and a Master of Science degree in music education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His teaching experience includes vocal and instrumental music for grades K-12, community and church work with adults, and is on the adjunct faculty at Crown College where he directs the Women’s Choir, and St. Cloud State University where he directs the Men’s Choir.
Choirs under Al’s direction have toured throughout the United States and Central Europe as well as performed for state conventions including the Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators (MACHE). In addition, he served as president for the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) of Minnesota and is the Artistic Director for Deo Cantamus of Minnesota.
Al and his wife, Kay, live in Plymouth, MN and have three children and ten grandchildren.
Steps to Enroll
Applying to the Choral Academy of Crown College can be completed in a few easy steps:
- Fill out the purple form titled "Learn More About the Choral Academy" on this page
- Mr. Hawkins will contact you for a personal interview
- Submit the special Choral Academy Application
- If accepted to the Choral Academy, Mr. Hawkins will provide you with a special application to apply to Crown College.
"I really appreciate Mr. Hawkins’ passion for meeting the musical needs of homeschool students with The Choral Academy of Crown College. I have no doubt the participants in the online choral school will receive a quality and meaningful choral music experience."
Kris B. - home schooling mother from Ely, MN