FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Here are FAQs that apply to international students. You might also want to browse through the main FAQ page which has a broader range of topics.

International students

Show all / Hide all

fold faq How do I know if I am an international student?

Students are considered international applicants if they are non-U.S. citizens and do not have a U.S. Permanent Resident visa. A student who has dual citizenship in the U.S. and another country must apply as a U.S. citizen.

fold faq Do I have to be a Christian to apply to Crown College?

Yes. The mission of Crown College is to provide a biblically-based education for Christian leadership in The Christian and Missionary Alliance, the church-at-large, and the world. Crown College graduates are uniquely prepared for professional excellence and Christian leadership.

Crown hires faculty and staff, and admits students, who affirm this mission, our statement of faith, and our community covenant.

fold faq How do I apply to Crown College?

International students interesting in making an application to Crown College should visit our International - Steps To Enroll page.

fold faq When should I apply to Crown College?

As an international student, you should begin the application process as early as possible as you will be working with the College as well as financial institutions, your country's embassy, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and the U.S. Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services.

International application is a lengthy process, therefore we strongly encourage international students to apply now.  Deadlines for all required documents are as follows:

  • November 15, 2013 - for Spring Semester 2014 (January 2014 arrival)
  • June 15, 2014 - for Fall Semester 2014 (August 2014 arrival)
  • November 15, 2014 - for Spring Semester 2015 (January 2015 arrival)
  • June 15, 2015 - for Fall Semester 2015 (August 2015 arrival)
fold faq What kind of financial assistance does Crown College offer to international students?

International students are responsible for funding their Crown education. Funds for a full year must be documented before an I-20 allowing entrance into the United States will be issued.  A certified bank letter or statement from the student’s family or sponsor must be provided before an I-20 document can be issued.  This bank letter should verify an amount equal to or exceeding USD $19,900.00.

To assist international students in financing their education, Crown College provides an International Student Tuition Scholarship in the amount of USD $4,000.00 per year beginning Fall semester 2013. Students are also eligible for additional scholarships and grants.  This is determined by the student’s academic record and family financial need

Although Federal Law prohibits international students from working off campus, Crown College offers international students the opportunity to earn up to USD $2,000 per year for on-campus employment to assist in the cost of attendance. If work is available, international students may work up to 15 hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during breaks and throughout the summer. All students are responsible for securing their own work position on campus and are paid directly by check. Crown cannot guarantee on-campus employment for international students.

fold faq What financial documentation does Crown College require for international students?

United States immigration laws require us to verify the ability of international students to pay all tuition and living expenses for the time they are studying in the US. Financial verification must be made prior to institutional issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).  Information on this verification can be found on the Application for International Undergraduate Admission. Visit the Steps to Enroll page for more details.

fold faq How do I submit my secondary school transcripts?

Ask your secondary school office to post or email your official, certified transcript to Crown College.  This can be done by post to the Crown mailing address or by email if scanned and sent directly from your secondary school office to Mr. Bob Edgar –   Crown may require you to have your transcripts evaluated.  If so you would submit your transcript(s) to EEI (Education Evaluators International, Inc.) for evaluation. To obtain an  EEI evaluation application, contact the Crown College . A $200 fee must accompany the EEI application.

fold faq Does Crown have an English proficiency requirement for international students?

Yes. If English is your primary language, you should take the ACT or the SAT exam.

If English is not your primary language, you must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or one of the alternatives listed below.  You must pass the TOEFL paper exam with a minimum score of 500 or the Internet-based exam with a minimum score of 61. You may receive information regarding when and where to take this test by visiting the TOEFL website at www.toefl.org.

You may take the ACT examination (must score above 18), the SAT examination (must score above 860) or the IELTS examination (must score above 5.0). The TOEFL or IELTS examinations are required if English was not the primary language in your secondary school.

fold faq If I have questions, who should I contact in the Admissions Office?

International students who have questions about admission to Crown may contact Bob Edgar, International Admissions and Recruitment at

fold faq How does Crown College help international students adjust to life in the United States?

In preparation for your arrival at Crown College the International Admissions Office will provide you with information as well as answer any questions you might have.  In addition, Crown College has a designated International/Overseas Orientation specifically designed to assist students adjust to living and studying in the United States. In addition, the Student Development Department at Crown College sponsors Mu Kappa. MuKappa is an organization comprised of international and  overseas students. These students gather regularly for social events such as progressive dinners, movie nights, study sessions, outings, Bible study and various events.  Crown values and embraces diversity.  Our international student, third-culture, and diverse population comprises 20% of our student body.  You will find our faculty, staff and fellow students to be most welcoming!  Most of our staff has served and lived overseas and understands the transition you will experience.  If you have further questions or concerns please be sure to contact Bob Edgar -