Stephen W. Jones
Assistant Professor of International Studies
Department: Christian Ministries
- M.A. Intercultural Relations, University of the Pacific: Stockton, CA
- B.A. Intercultural Studies & Bible, Grace University: Omaha, NE
- B.S. Business Administration: Intercultural Management, Grace University: Omaha, NE
Stephen W. Jones came to Crown College in 2013 along with his wife and three children. His father served in U.S. Navy as an Aviator during Jones’ childhood. His mother has taught English to students of international backgrounds since he and his sister were children living in Japan. They also lived on the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts before landing in the Great Plains of Kansas and Nebraska.
Jones is the author of "Transitions Across Cultures" and "Intercultural Development of Global Service-Learning." He is an Interculturalist who has worked with applied learning and service-learning and community development in rural Nebraska; Mali, West Africa; urban Mississippi; Seattle, Washington; and Omaha, Nebraska. He is especially interested in the intersection between racial/ethnic reconciliation, community development (international & domestic), and intercultural competence. He is especially committed to the work of ethnic, racial, and socio-economic reconciliation within the Church both in the US and internationally.
Jones's introduction to teaching in the field of intercultural studies came when he delivered an intensive Cultural Anthropology course for a Grace University in Mali, West Africa in 2007. He has worked with groups involved in overseas study and service in Africa, Europe, Latin America, and Asia, as well as in various subcultures of the United States. In 2009 he began to directly manage the programming; curriculum; course development; and preparatory, on-site, and return teaching for students who were studying on five to six month intercultural immersion trips. In 2012 he was also responsible for overseeing a team of students who were in Mali, West Africa when that country experienced a coup d'état, and went to great lengths to assure a successful return home for those students.
Jones has rich personal experience in many different cultural settings and industries. Among other lines of work, he has worked variously as a ranch hand at a cow-calf operation, as a guest services representative in the hospitality industry, as a youth leader for an urban focused scouting program, as an accounting analyst in the financial services industry, as an AmeriCorps VISTA, and as higher education staff and faculty.
Jones is cofounder and currently serves as President of the Board of Life Shared International, an internationally active non-profit committed to the person and teachings of Jesus Christ, and active in Advocacy, Community Development, and Training. Life Shared International is especially involved in Omaha, Nebraska and Mali, West Africa.
He also maintains a small corporation active in intercultural training and community development.
Favorite Bible verse:
2 Cor 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit."
2 Cor 5:18 "But all things are of God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and gave unto us the ministry of reconciliation."
- Society for Intercultural Education Training and Research
- Christian Community Development Association
- International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership: Sienna, Italy
- Christian Community Development Association: New Orleans, LA
- Society for Intercultural Education Training and Research: Spokane, WA
- Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education: Brookings, SD; Omaha, NE; Crete, NE
- Intercultural Development Inventory: Qualified Administrator
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Life Space Crisis Intervention
- Certificate in Christian Community Development Philosophy
- Business Model of Intercultural Analysis