Dr. Kevin D. Smith
Director of Choral Activities and Coordinator of Music Education,
Associate Professor of Music
What are the main classes you teach at Crown?
- Jazz Choir
- Advanced Conducting
- Music Theory IV: Composition and Analysis
- Orchestration and Arranging
Degrees & Institutions you received them from:
- B.S. in Music Education (piano/vocal), Eastern Nazarene College
- M.S.M. in Sacred Music/Choral Conducting, Emory University
- D.M.A. in Choral Conducting (Minor: Orchestral Conducting), Louisiana State University
Published works or other accolades?
- The Music of Rihards Dubra: The Style of Meditation (Choral Journal)
- Using the Hymnal as a Resource for Choral Anthems (American Organist)
- A Red, Red Rose [SATB div, violin, piano] (Colla Voce Music)
- The Lamb (SA, flute, guitar) (Colla Voce Music – in process)
Before Crown, what did you do?
- Director of Choral Activities and Music Theory, Sterling College
- Director of Choral Activities and Music Theory, Slippery Rock University
- Grad Degrees
- Middle/High School teaching
- Part-time Church Ministry
- Part-time Musical Theatre
I accepted Christ as a child and decided as a teenager that I needed to truly become a disciple of Christ. I have made it my goal to serve and follow Him ever since. There have been times that I have strayed from the path, but his grace has always restored me. I believe that many years ago I was called into full time ministry – it just happens to be the ministry of teaching. God has called me to Crown College for this time and I want to serve Him here with all of my heart.
Favorite Bible verse and why?
Jeremiah 29:11 “I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”
This has reminded me, in many of the down times of my life, that God was working to bring about his plan in my life. It also reminds me in the good times that it is not about me, but it’s about allowing Him to lead.
Hobbies, Interests, Affiliations?
Golf, music composition, playing with my kids
What do you enjoy most about teaching at Crown?
The students (They are eager to learn, respectful, and inspire me to grow professionally and spiritually)
What would you say to parents of prospective students about having their son/daughter at Crown?
Students at Crown don’t fall through the cracks unless they try, VERY HARD. You will not find any other school where the faculty, staff, administration, and fellow students are committed to their personal, spiritual, and professional growth and success more than at Crown.