- Does the Nursing Department require students to purchase a laptop?
All nursing students are required to own a laptop/notebook computer, effective August 1, 2008. Students should contact Financial Aid to discuss this cost being a part of their financial aid package at Crown. Due to the need for computers in the classroom, a desktop computer is not sufficient for face-to-face students. The following are minimum specifications for the laptop:
- Less than 4 years old at the time of admission to Crown College
- Wireless card
- Sound card
- Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 (may purchase from Crown at student rate; all files must be in MS2003)
- Windows XP or newer
- Macintosh/Apple (OS X/10.2 or higher) is allowed but students must be able to read/write Windows-ready documents or files.
- 256 MB of RAM
- Processor 800 MHz or better
- 40 GB of disc space
The Crown College help desk is able to help the student troubleshoot many issues, however, students are solely responsible for any costs that arise from technical difficulties with their personal equipment.
- Are students required to have high-speed internet at home?
No. However, most students do not tend to spend long hours working in the campus computer lab. Dial up will work for most things, but students spend a lot of time online in the nursing program.
- Can I play sports or do other extracurriculars and be in the nursing program?
Maybe. The nursing program is very difficult and demanding from a content and time perspective. The other issue is that students will not be excused from clinical or lab activities for extracurricluar activities or events. These experiences are too resource intensive to adjust and must be a priority.
- Do I need my own car for the Nursing Program?
Yes. You are responsible for providing your own transportation to all learning activities/classes.
- Can I complete the Nursing program totally online?
No. The student who is not previously licensed as an RN (ie. a BSN-C student), will need to meet in the regular semesters. However, there are some classes that the BSN-P student will take that are completely online.
- Are the online courses easier?
No. Many students will say they are more difficult because the require an added level of accountability and creativity.
- What is the minimum GPA to get into the program?
2.5. Having this GPA does not guarantee acceptance to the program. For current admission criteria and admission process, see the most current edition of the Nursing Department Student Handbook.
- How much are books and fees in the Nursing Department?
That depends on the level (class) of the student. The following are estimates, subject to change at any time:
Lab fee: $200 - paid with tuition bill
Lab kit: $100 - Purchased from and paid to the Crown College Bookstore
Books: $500 - Must be purchased from Crown College Bookstore due to technology and specialty packages.
(includes all Junior NUR classes in the Plan of Study for both semesters)
Nursing Clinical Fee: $462 per clinical - paid with tuition bill (Junior level which require clinicals)
Stethoscope: $50 - purchased on your own, your choice.
Uniforms (2 sets of scrubs and 1 lab coat w/ Crown logo required): $70, purchased from and paid to Crown Nursing's online uniform supplier.
Books: $700+ - purchased from and paid to Crown College Bookstore
(includes all Senior NUR class in the Plan of Study for both semesters)
Nursing Clinical Fee: $462 per clinical - paid with tuition bill. (Senior level which require clinicals)
Uniforms (2 sets of scrubs and 1 lab coat w/ Crown logo required): $70 (if new ones are needed)
Books: $500+ - purchased from and paid to Crown College Bookstore
Graduation Fee: $150 - paid to cashier's office